Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Online (post-geographic) Localism.

Perhaps true internet music would simply flitter from one thing to the next, never giving you time to absorb it or enjoy it, never progressing linearly, suggesting connections only, not disconnections (everything online is in a web, excuse the pun)...

And what music could possibly overcome this competition?

The most meticulous music becomes Muzak when the smartphone has whittled attention spans to nothingness

Mental laziness abetted by existential angst

I mean I'm aware of the danger of projecting my somewhat abnormal psychology onto society at large, but it seems well documented that the internet is having a toxic effect on people's psyches.

The ever expanding not experienced

Concomitant to chaos is the urge to control, to categorise, to judge, dismiss, shut down, destroy.

This is tale at least as old as The Wasteland.

I wonder if on some subconscious level the rise of the right has to do with this assailing of the consciousness by distraction and chaos?

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    The ever expanding not experienced
    Yearned for
    Resented
    Wished for
    Wished away

3) is what I was getting at with this thread obviously and what I think in principle should be the most potent as meaning isn't so such something inherent in the object but something which accrues with use and valuing- with investment in it essentially and that happens most reliably in small communities with direct involvement and ownership.

gah u lot even see the sherelle and riz incident where everyone mad at riz misjudging a rewind? it a huge thing to appear so woke. that's new music in 2019. it's the whole chronic image discourse around it that turns me off.

My mate was a bit on that race trip over it all and whilst making a valid point literally got into the white man disrespects black woman thing 1) we don't know that only Sherelle does, 2) well that is undoubtedly the case in the industry but writing about it in mixmag is basically working within that gentrification. bit pissed off with it all in all honesty. literally might consciously leave dance music behind.

Like the beginnings of a community is you've gotta let people slip up. if you become so invested in identity politics everything is call out culture from watching boiler room from your home, then uh...
    Last edited by thirdform; 15-02-2019 at 07:34 PM.

It's your generation mate you sort it out. We were into taking drugs and irrevocably sabotaging our lives.

I watch the odd Boiler Room thing but on the whole I don't think clubs/raves should be filmed and broadcast - even worse is a club/rave even that is being run TO BE FILMED (and sold alongside rolling adverts for JD Sports.)

There's more outrage expended on identity politics stuff than on the selling out of culture, that's for sure. (And I'm guilty of this, too.)

TBF this would all be fixed if I could go and abolish four tet. why you not giving me a gun luke?

yeah but that thristian bloke was always pulling up peoples tunes inappropriately, noone said anything back then. When its the boss none of these people care.

u have to admit that this was an attitude that people took from grime to an extent, this superstar ambition with big faces.

Well I'm glad someone's got a plan.