I have seen the future and it is the past

In my end is my beginning

What if we compressed all of jungle into one second

That would be shit wouldn't it?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Corpsey For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    What if we compressed all of jungle into one second

That would be shit wouldn't it?
    It also wouldn't be the same thing. He's talking about using the compressed city within a piece of music, not just compressing it into one second and leaving it at that.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to version For This Useful Post:

!!!DUBSTEP FORUM WARS!!!

Shots fired! Shots fired!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sadmanbarty For This Useful Post:

(if I understand correctly but I probably don't) this idea reminds me a bit of listening to de natura sonorum. the sounds used often seem like they were recorded in perceptibly different acoustic spaces, so sometimes during parmegiani's flurries of samples it's as if you're very briefly in one space for the length of one percussive hit, and then in a different one for the next--so you can experience the acoustic qualities of different locations very quickly. getting "short strikes" from places across city seems like it would produce a similar effect.

anyways I hope that's what keszler means because it sounds cool.
    Last edited by mvuent; 17-02-2019 at 10:54 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mvuent For This Useful Post:

That's pretty much how I understood it too. It ties in nicely with something I read recently about using reverb as a layered and connected series of spaces rather than just an effect.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to version For This Useful Post:

What was that old electronic bod that made you literally feel dissociated from your body and in space. truly weightless. that's the person that came to mind but i can't remember the name. Not Roland Kayn...

this seems to me like a case where using actual field recordings is basically a necessity. in theory you could achieve what he's talking about just by changing parameters on a plugin, but I don't think it's nearly as convincing in practice.

maybe it's just a property of sampling in general that as a listener you can infer a lot of information in an extremely short duration of time, and then instantly hear it change completely. (not just the space, but also sometimes the performer, era, genre etc.) good example of how working with existing recordings lets you create "impossible" experiences musically.

sort of reminds me of corpsey's point, but I'm pretty sure it's great if you listen properly?
    Last edited by mvuent; 18-02-2019 at 01:51 AM.

yeah francois bayle la experience acoustique is that plekshare album like 30 years before, it's really fucking strange because you literally feel like you're being jerked. from location to location message me if u want it.