Compressing Time

luka

It said this thread made him realise thurdform was right, that he's already become a tory.

sadmanbarty

Not to sound too old fashioned, but isn't there a point where all this stuff gets a bit silly?

Maybe it's the romantic in me, but doesn't there come a point where progressing too far alienates us from true, ahem... beauty? This constant battle to advance and move forward eventually culminates in a point where culture's cold and esoteric.

Some things are just what they are and we shouldn't try to mess with them or change them.

Or maybe that's wrong.

sounds pretty tory to me.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I agree with that what I said actually

I have seen the future and it is the past

In my end is my beginning

mvuent

Void Dweller
(if I understand correctly but I probably don't) this idea reminds me a bit of listening to de natura sonorum. the sounds used often seem like they were recorded in perceptibly different acoustic spaces, so sometimes during parmegiani's flurries of samples it's as if you're very briefly in one space for the length of one percussive hit, and then in a different one for the next--so you can experience the acoustic qualities of different locations very quickly. getting "short strikes" from places across city seems like it would produce a similar effect.

anyways I hope that's what keszler means because it sounds cool.

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
What was that old electronic bod that made you literally feel dissociated from your body and in space. truly weightless. that's the person that came to mind but i can't remember the name. Not Roland Kayn...

mvuent

Void Dweller
this seems to me like a case where using actual field recordings is basically a necessity. in theory you could achieve what he's talking about just by changing parameters on a plugin, but I don't think it's nearly as convincing in practice.

maybe it's just a property of sampling in general that as a listener you can infer a lot of information in an extremely short duration of time, and then instantly hear it change completely. (not just the space, but also sometimes the performer, era, genre etc.) good example of how working with existing recordings lets you create "impossible" experiences musically.

sort of reminds me of corpsey's point, but I'm pretty sure it's great if you listen properly?

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
yeah francois bayle la experience acoustique is that plekshare album like 30 years before, it's really fucking strange because you literally feel like you're being jerked. from location to location message me if u want it.