Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: All good music comes from religion

it's clearly the womb.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    I was trying to tempt them with questions like
    What does slowness contribute to the feeling tone of roots? What about horns and the way the horns are deployed?
    Jericho.

And the trumpet shall be blown, so all those that are in the heavens and all those that are in the earth shall swoon, except him whom Allah will ; then it shall be blown again, then they shall stand up awaiting

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sadmanbarty For This Useful Post:

Psychedelia is secular religion.

Rave is secular wajd

Fandom is secular worship.

the more we move toward scientific rationlism the more boring things become

yet overtly religious music is usually - not always but usually - devoid of this mystical feeling

like, i get more of that feeling off of soul than from the gospel that it is a secularized version of

thinking also of an Uber ride i took the other week where the lady driver was born again - Christian paraphernalia all over the dashboard, radio tuned to Christian rock, awful pallid stuff

she told me about her past life "on the dark side" - meaning rock + drugs - and how she knew first hand how powerful it was, how alluring, and had been alarmed because her grand kid had got into going to see bands

but i bet those bands, whoever they are, transmitted more "religiosity" (however you want to define that) than the insipid Christian pop she currently was listening to - so she would be right to ascribe dangerous seductive power to the devil's tunes

she was incidentally one of the least Christian in spirit and manner people i've encountered for a while, going on about being a hustler and the importance of making money etc

8. The Following User Says Thank You to blissblogger For This Useful Post:

well yeah nasheeds are mostly shit, i like some ssouth eastern kurdish ones recorded to tape in shit quality with a daff but the maher zane and sami yusuf stuff is so execrable it's mad. I prefer the religious symbolism in folk or soul or jazz as blissblogger says.

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    In fact, what music would you say doesn't come from religion?

pre-neolithic/hunter gatherer trance. it comes from animism most probably but not religion as we understand it. more an occult thing, summoning the chponic spirits.
    Last edited by thirdform; 18-02-2019 at 12:30 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to thirdform For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    Reverence. Devotion. Praise.

All these things just a breath away from worship.

No, because the truly devoted are simultaneously the most orthodox and the most heretical.

Worship is the rule of law, essentially. a power over you that you are compelled to obey. in communion with the divine is different imo.

in a bit of a dark place atm but this is a good thread keep it up.

Quote Originally Posted by sadmanbarty View Post
    And the trumpet shall be blown, so all those that are in the heavens and all those that are in the earth shall swoon, except him whom Allah will ; then it shall be blown again, then they shall stand up awaiting
    Tho I speak with the tongues of men and angels, and have not love, I am become as a resounding gong

Quote Originally Posted by blissblogger View Post
    yet overtly religious music is usually - not always but usually - devoid of this mystical feeling
    it's about spiritual ecstasy innit

what people describe chasing - especially in a dance music context - via music/crowd/drugs

something beyond yourself ("transcendent")

whereas religious music is about religion (dogma, belief) and not necessarily spiritual ecstasy

16. The Following User Says Thank You to padraig (u.s.) For This Useful Post:

I had a moment of what I can only describe as spiritual ecstasy while staring (while on drugs, yes) at a Rothko at the Art Institute a few years ago

I still can't and probably won't ever to be able to properly articulate it but I know what it was

there's a line in one of the Hilary Mantel novels about Thomas Cromwell where he thinks something like (paraphrasing)

"how he could explain it? that he'd gazed upon frescoes in Tuscan sunlight, and found a different, easier way to be in the world?"

that I identify with. something just clicked in my head and I found a different, easier way to be in the world.

which I assume is the ultimate goal of art, including music, in some way or another, directly stated or otherwise.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to padraig (u.s.) For This Useful Post:

religion is about belief, art is about experience (or feeling? some word that combines the two, maybe)

I think droid, and third, are on a right track

I imagine devotion specifically in the process of artistic creation

you literally have to be devoted to this task. it's hard and mostly thankless. making music is logistically difficult (at least, I find it to be).

as well as devotion to the creative urge. idk, it's one of those unquantifiable things. I guess it shares that with religious belief. you have it or you don't.

and early religion, as I understand it, much closer to spiritual ecstasy. the Pythia at Delphi, mystery cults, and going further back animism, shamanism.

this really gets into history of religion and comparative religion beyond I'm sure any of our expertise

but something about scriptures (dogma), religious infrastructure, etc getting away from pure worship

21. The Following User Says Thank You to padraig (u.s.) For This Useful Post: