Corpsey

bandz ahoy
All good music returns us to the religious impulse...

To believe there is something significant and ordered about the universe and our place in and perspective of it.

I have to get Yeats into every thread don't I? So here's a quote:

Even when the poet seems most himself…he is never the bundle of accident and incoherence that sits down to breakfast; he has been reborn as an idea, something intended, complete.
William Butler Yeats

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Music is something that feels like it's

bigger/higher than us and
speaks to us 'is us'

So there's something religious there, it is a transcendent form that we incarnate and incarnates us

luka

Ultimately my answer is the same as it as in the all music worth its salt is psychedelic. I think that to treat of love for specific person, or of lust or fucking, is not religious or psychedelic. I think its humanist and secular.

luka

I'd also struggle to characterise motorhead's we are the road crew or biggies dreams of fucking an r&b bitch, or even Ahmed's back in the days
as religious in any meaningful useful sense

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
it's funny, take a track as irreligious as 'Ain't nuthin' but a g thing'

the excellence of execution (to borrow a phrase from WWE) gives me a religious feeling of an ideal being attained

perhaps it's nothing more than a buzz

but do you know what i mean?

luka

But if any powerful sensation is taken as religious then the term loses meaning. If excitement and arousal and self-pride and aggression are all religious then what's left?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
But if any powerful sensation is taken as religious then the term loses meaning. If excitement and arousal and self-pride and aggression are all religious then what's left?

You're right

I'm probably extending the sense of religious in order to justify barty's contention

luka

The psychedelic becomes religious if you let it but what about that wonderful headlong rush into drunkeness, speed drinking pints and downing whiskies? What about a coke rush? What about morning coffee?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I mean if we don't extend the sense of religious to include feelings of transcendence of the everyday

What could it mean to say all good music comes from religion?

Are you going to claim that drill is religious?

luka

I mean if we don't extend the sense of religious to include feelings of transcendence of the everyday

What could it mean to say all good music comes from religion?

Barty is almost certainly going to do that, yes.

luka

Two possible and persuasive routes in being
1. Ritual. The Acts in their eternal aspect.
2. Pounds definition of the gods as "eternal states of mind"

So immediately we have a religious or proto religious frame for drunkenness fucking and aggression

luka

It's perfectly possible and probably advisable to put housework say, into a ritual framework. Household deities. To put the whole of human life into that larger, mythic frame. Why should anything escape it?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Well I was going to say earlier that a 'problem' is that from a religious perspective, EVERYTHING is religious, whether or not its aware of it. It's created by a deity, and defined in relation to that deity.

But perhaps that's a belief specific to some religions and not others. The belief that you can apprehend a universe in a grain of sand vs. you need to attend Mass and have the universal order explained to you.

luka

I think this is more a property of polytheism than monotheism although I see where you are coming from also.

sadmanbarty

All that seraphic reverb is churchy. It's not inconceivable that the reverb preset on the daw's their using is something like "cathedral".

All the church bells in the background. The funeral march pianos.

church choirs.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
hasn't canonical scripture imbued our culture with a shared language or ideas and imagery?
I disagree about canonical scripture, or at least I don't think it's that clear

many/most of the things in canon have parallels outside of canon, often predating it, so that it's hard to say what imbued what

and my understanding is that a monomyth approach is, if not wholly discredited, applied skeptically nowadays if at all. again this I'm sure goes beyond either of our knowledge of comparative mythology.

you could say everyone knows Jesus, but everyone also knows Mickey Mouse (or whatever). which could get into a what qualifies as religion semantic thing, I guess.

in general I think you're cherrypicking to fit your initial statement, which is fine as a discussion catalyst ofc