luka

From religion is probably a bit determinative but you have many of the same component pieces. Reverence. Awe. Beauty. Sublimity and also sublimation of the libido.

Sexuality by other means

luka

"It is a feeling which he (Romain Rolland) would like to call a senaation of 'eternity', a feeling as of something limitless, unbounded - as it were, 'oceanic'."

FREUD
Civilization and its Discontents.

luka

I was trying to inveigle a couple of mates into discussing the religious feeling of '70s roots but this is all I got out of them
"That is a tune! Not too fast, great up tempo vibes. .

Sent from my iPad"

Almost wanted to cry

luka

A typology of various religious tendencies as manifested in music would be possible.

From pentecostal fervour to ambient retreat to inner sanctum and stillness. The gamut.

luka

I was trying to tempt them with questions like
What does slowness contribute to the feeling tone of roots? What about horns and the way the horns are deployed?

sadmanbarty

That's quite a statement there Barty!

I suppose there's some truth to it.

Take 'Sex, Drugs & Rock n Roll by the Blockheads'. On initial listening it's sardonic, brashly of the mortal world. But on closer inspection you uncover a coded religiosity.

The Holy Trinity: "Sex and drugs and Rock & Roll".

Salvation "Is all my brain and body need".

It's a proclamation of faith.

Alright Si, keep your knickers on.

luka

Freud rejects the oceanic ("I've never felt it") as the source of religion. He ascribes it to the desire, in a hostile, threatening world, for the protection of the father.

sadmanbarty

And the trumpet shall be blown, so all those that are in the heavens and all those that are in the earth shall swoon, except him whom Allah will ; then it shall be blown again, then they shall stand up awaiting