Coolness is a helpful concept and we need more of it.

luka

The reason undeground hiphop was a non starter is no one wants a rapper whos not cool. It makes no sense.

luka

I never understood that morrisey line where he says he doesn't like reggae cos it doesn't speak to him about his life. That attitude is how you end up with this

Trillhouse

Is coolness a constant?

All those private press albums that get sweated now, but were never really 'cool' enough to make at the time of their original release.

The whole new age genre.

Wouldn't a fair amount of great music be lost?

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
It's just not about that student thing only, it's the easy poise you monetise and then bumbling indie romantics are inducted into the desecrated cult..

I'd rephrase barty's question to say cult music is cool. this excludes underground hip hop because it's looking to an age where mainstream hh was the gold standard.

Grime isn't cult music anymore, and neither is jungle really to an extent. the majority of techno isn't either. in fact we don't have a gnostic music anymore. which ties in with the religion thread. the problem is politics is the religion of our era. but it's a shit religion because it's limited by enlightenment rational planning, and once its consttituent pillar, democracy dies, then there's nothing left to infantalise us.

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Basically the problem is the 2008 financial crash (although this dynamic was going on earlier) kicked us out of music. it was stolen from us. we just have to move on. maybe even give up music.

I was gonna check out new jungle, new dubstep new grime etc etc this year. But that resolution fell through quite quickly. That's what I'm trying to work out. maybe laziness? but more like the production became everything, the cult became nothing. there are no closed doorways with strange voices beckoning.

Last edited:

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
i think the-dream has made some of THE coolest music, but him as a person, as a star, a persona, isn't that cool at all i think. same with kanye west. but is this what we are talking about? feels so superficial.