Coolness is a helpful concept and we need more of it.

luka

What no one has thought to do yet is to put it alongside it's contrary, intensity.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
But intensity is cool too, isn't it.

Or am I misusing 'cool' - do you mean a sort of insouciance?

I think the key to 'cool' in the sense I understand it is for it to be noncomformist. That's why the word itself is now so uncool, because - as mentioned upthread - it was appropriated by makreting departments in the 90s.

Nowadays I think of men who read GQ describing why Steve McQueen is their hero.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
But isn't Jeremy Corbyn seen as cool by the only people who matter when it comes to cool - the young?

And he's patently the most personally uncool person

He's cool because he cares - and nobody else seems to

sadmanbarty

1) i'm not a jazz musician

2) it never even crossed my mind to use 'cool' in a dave brubeck context

3) i'm using cool in the same way bart simpson does

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I guess the taste of the youth is not infallible but is more reliable a bellwether for excitement than the taste of us lot (you excluded, I suppose, being still sufficiently foetal to merit respect)

I bow to them

But then again, I wonder how much of their taste is being dictated to them by middle aged editors and radio station controllers (and these days DJs, let's face it, there's more and more wrinkled lifers knocking about)

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
For a long time I've been toying with doing a thread about this subject (age vs youth in music)

It'll be interesting to see what (if any) effect the 'greying' of the population has on culture - atrophying, I suppose

It's worth thinking about why it is that the young have the keys to cool... Because it's undeniable. Perhaps because whatever young people like old people (who aren't bitter) want to like, because everybody wants to be young (except the really young).

sadmanbarty

presumably retromania in part reflects an ageing population.

also older people are more and more likely to purchase music rather just stream it so their tastes are more reflected in the charts.

do many young people actually listen to adele or ed sheeran? they're more for middle aged people i would have thought.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
nah cos u flick through youtube with no real chronology/development. I think this is my stumbling block with drill i can listen to it for hours but I don't understand how to chronologise it. whereas with pirate radio there's a guiding thread, that's very easy.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
why it is that the young have the keys to cool...

They have (to crudely generalise):

Naivety - they don't know what came before them, they believe anything is possible, they are utopian
Energy - self-explanatory
Libido - related to energy but different, they're biologically primed to show off and shag
Reckessness - they don't care about the adult world of responsibilities, the adult world appears like a protracted decline, they don't believe in death
Rebelliousness: they want to shake things up, they view adult institutions with scepticism/hostility
Malleability: they're not stuck in their ways yet, or they are at least open to exploring new ways
Intense feeling - Is this a biological fact? Not sure, but I'd warrant that their hormones are causing them to feel things intensely. They're not as prone to conceptualising in the dry scientific way the adults do.

Last edited:

luka

1) i'm not a jazz musician

2) it never even crossed my mind to use 'cool' in a dave brubeck context

3) i'm using cool in the same way bart simpson does

This is like me after the Winchester incident.

Now I don't mind a bit of banter but this has crossed the line. Let's make a few things clear. First of all I'm not a fucking jazz musician.