Coolness is a helpful concept and we need more of it.

sadmanbarty

Barry, do you have those qualities of youth outlined above and

Do you already feel them evaporating?

Naivety - they don't know what came before them, they believe anything is possible, they are utopian

I think I'm pretty clued up on the history of music, so that one doesn't apply

Energy - self-explanatory

Think so. Not evaporating.

Libido - related to energy but different, they're biologically primed to show off and shag

That's me to a t. No signs of fading thank god.

Reckessness - they don't care about the adult world of responsibilities, the adult world appears like a protracted decline, they don't believe in death

Pretty much.

Rebelliousness: they want to shake things up, they view adult institutions with scepticism/hostility

My raison d'etre on dissensus

Malleability: they're not stuck in their ways yet, or they are at least open to exploring new ways

When I first heard culture i didn't like. Now i think it's the work of the lord...

Intense feeling - Is this a biological fact? Not sure, but I'd warrant that their hormones are causing them to feel things intensely. They're not as prone to conceptualising in the dry scientific way the adults do.

very, very much so. i get embarrased listening to music around people because i have these weird seizures. eyes roll to the back of my head and all that.

none of its fading corpse. learn from me.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I sense it all disappearing, day by day

Calcification

And worse than despair - resignation

EDIT: Mind you I probably thought like this when I was 18

sadmanbarty

It's essentially impossible to be cool and middle class so this should sit comfortably with 3rds revolutionary Marxism

going along with the hipsters in hindsight thread and the never-actually-materialised "what went wrong with white people" thread, maybe the reason middle class white culture hasn't produced any music in two decades is because we finally realised that we're not, nor ever will be cool. though we weren't cool before we thought we could be and in doing so innovated music.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Don't get me wrong, the old have their virtues

They're just not virtues suited to producing exciting music

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Youth of delight! come hither
And see the opening morn,
Image of Truth new-born.
Doubt is fled, and clouds of reason,
Dark disputes and artful teazing.
Folly is an endless maze;
Tangled roots perplex her ways;
How many have fallen there!
They stumble all night over bones of the dead;
And feel—they know not what but care;
And wish to lead others, when they should be led.

droid

DzyATSBXcAAKQeI.png

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I guess the taste of the youth is not infallible but is more reliable a bellwether for excitement than the taste of us lot (you excluded, I suppose, being still sufficiently foetal to merit respect)

I bow to them

But then again, I wonder how much of their taste is being dictated to them by middle aged editors and radio station controllers (and these days DJs, let's face it, there's more and more wrinkled lifers knocking about)

no because trance. that shot through the DNA of most youth music these days and noone wants to admit it. but it's god awful stuff, philip glass gone telly tubbies. at least the happy hardcore had a kind of shit towns innocence to it, it was genuinely sad and melancholic, (despite being far far cheesier than late 90s eurotrance ironically) like those first kisses in the rain you want to relive all over again. loads of sad comments on happy hardcore videos. trance on the other hand was making that melancholia into spiritual pretension.

So the only way to rebel against trance is to make your tracks drier and more nuanced, be that in house, 130 or dubstep. It's not a purist thing in the 90s mould, it's that the trance sound colonised the melodic vocabulary of euro-american electronic music, when that was more generally associated with detroit and ambient before.

Last edited:

Leo

i got a react off corpsey there first time ever in 10+ years

I don't think I've gotten more than one or two reacts from corpsey in all my time here, clearly he feels I say nothing of value. don't let anyone tell you it doesn't sting.

luka

i invited him round for soup last night when he was crying and lonely and he totally blanked me

luka

i dont even know how to make soup, i dont like soup, but i was willing to make the effort for my Jackie

Reactions: Leo