Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Labour Splitters

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    Edit: worth mentioning that I had a (brief) Fb argument with Zhao recently about the above (Maduro)
    Yeah, Zhao is probably the most extreme example I've ever seen of ideological tribalism trumping any sort of ethical stance - in fact I think I saw the post you're talking about but (for once) decided not to get involved.

He's also a pretty good illustration of the 'horseshoe principle' in action. I remember a year or two ago seeing him posting some conspiracy-theory garbage about how "Obama created ISIS", and wondering whether he was unaware, or simply didn't care, that this is one of the founding myths of the alt-right - ostensibly rather an odd belief for someone who clearly regards himself as the leftiest lefty who ever lefted.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Have you seen the records of these fuckers? Gay re-education, 'hard' on immigration, water privatisation... If that's what is considered moderate, just vote Tory.
    Sorry, I only just saw this. I'm not saying that I think they're moderates, I'm disputing what you said about the consensus of opinion being that they are all New Labour Losers. I know that's you think about them, but from looking at comments and stuff it seems that there are as many people who see them as a new, and indeed, moderate party. Er, even if they claim to not be a party.

Sorry I meant blue coated there. um what is that in english... mavi yakali... Blue collar.
    And I don't care about the splitters but if labour dies I will not be overjoyed but will sigh in relief. more than an irritating nuisance now.
    OK I get you with blue collar.... but if Labour dies then what, just Tories forever?

Interesting though that people are saying this makes a GE more likely. Funny if these guys have precipitated exactly what Corbyn wants.

A good friend of mine who is Venezuelan and still has family living there was telling me about it recently.
    Yes, but just cos he's from Venezuela and presumably knows what's up doesn't mean he's without (possibly even unconscious) bias. His family are extremely wealthy and from what I can work out they were exactly the kind of people that Chavez was against. They made their fortunes in the previous regimes and they want to keep things as they were (or return them), it's perfectly natural they highlight the bad things etc not even untruths, just one side of the story.
    ps PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT TELL J***E about this post cos I've seen her before when people say anything even mildly like the above. I'm serious here. What happens on dissensus stays on dissensus.

Actually just realised I put this in THOUGHT not POLITICS - apologies for that. Mods feel free to move it.

Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich View Post
    Yes, but just cos he's from Venezuela and presumably knows what's up doesn't mean he's without (possibly even unconscious) bias. His family are extremely wealthy and from what I can work out they were exactly the kind of people that Chavez was against. They made their fortunes in the previous regimes and they want to keep things as they were (or return them), it's perfectly natural they highlight the bad things etc not even untruths, just one side of the story.
    ps PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT TELL J***E about this post cos I've seen her before when people say anything even mildly like the above. I'm serious here. What happens on dissensus stays on dissensus.
    it was exactly what i was thinking. it's always those that live abroad, from wealthy families, probably white too, that spread these horror stories of torture, rape and murder. same with cubans living in miami.

Well these horror "stories" seem to be backed up by the likes of Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

I know M's family is pretty well off but either political dissidents and their families are being incarcerated, tortured and sometimes murdered, or they're not. And reports from international bodies that exist to monitor this sort of thing very much suggest that it is happening.

That may well be 'one side of the story' but it's hard to imagine what other side could possibly exist that could begin to justify it. And it'd be one thing if a Robin Hood president were seizing the wealth of the upper classes to benefit the rest but, as is usually the case, it's the people who were already poor who are suffering most of all.

And yes, obviously I won't say anything to J or M about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    Well these horror "stories" seem to be backed up by the likes of Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International.
    who finances those organizations? what "human rights" are they advocating? that sentence could have just well read "by the likes of the usa and the eu"

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2014/06/h...evolving-door/
    https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ism-james-hoge
    http://www.coha.org/taking-human-rights-watch-to-task/

Sorry, I only just saw this. I'm not saying that I think they're moderates, I'm disputing what you said about the consensus of opinion being that they are all New Labour Losers. I know that's you think about them, but from looking at comments and stuff it seems that there are as many people who see them as a new, and indeed, moderate party. Er, even if they claim to not be a party.
    I meant informed consensus!

I'm not saying that they didn't happen or aren't true, I just mean that the previous regime was just as bad so to claim it only happened when Chavez appeared and if the country would just turn back to the right everything would be fine for everybody isn't really the whole story.

I meant informed consensus!
    Ah I see. Surely the least influential group when it comes to politics.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to IdleRich For This Useful Post:

man to man is so unjust, children

Quote Originally Posted by other_life View Post
    man to man is so unjust, children
    Is this homophobia or something else I don't understand?