Labour Splitters

IdleRich

IdleRich
No-one talking about this? What does it all mean? Are they selfish arseholes or principled martyrs to a cause? Should they call a by-election, does it fuck Labour, what does it mean for Brexit etc?

droid

General consensus is that Berger is the only real loss and the rest are right wing Blairite careerist scum who may now try and stand in marginal seats to fuck Corbyn.

sufi

lala
i was randomly interviewed in the street by an ITV news guy about it today. I said what droid said

for some reason they didnt show it

IdleRich

IdleRich
Is that general consensus though? I'm reading through comments pages and while half of them say exactly that, the other half say "Thank God, the Labour party had become something I could no longer support and at last there is something for us moderates".

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
What, the splitters or Labour? What does blue coded mean?

Sorry I meant blue coated there. um what is that in english... mavi yakali... Blue collar.

And I don't care about the splitters but if labour dies I will not be overjoyed but will sigh in relief. more than an irritating nuisance now.

droid

Is that general consensus though? I'm reading through comments pages and while half of them say exactly that, the other half say "Thank God, the Labour party had become something I could no longer support and at last there is something for us moderates".

Have you seen the records of these fuckers? Gay re-education, 'hard' on immigration, water privatisation... If that's what is considered moderate, just vote Tory.

sufi

lala
I was seen on 10 OClock news apparently
i've checked with the newsroom that no online version exists

droid

Shuker. Continued to support and work with christian charity CARE after every other connected MP ran for the hills due to the exposure of its gay therapy programme.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I think there's a lot of relief that people are splitting from Corbyn and his shitty stance on Brexit, and all the other shit that's gone on in the party on his watch. However, it's a bit of a "naked lunch" moment in that the politics of those who oppose him now coalesces into view. I thought "now I'll remember how much I hated these people”. I'm still glad there's been a split though. Kinda agreed with everything Mike Gapes said yesterday about Corbyn's foreign policy.

DannyL

Wild Horses
"I am furious that the Labour leadership is complicit in facilitating Brexit. Corbyn, and those around him, are also on the wrong side of so many international issues from Russia, to Syria, to Venezuela. If he ever became prime minister it would be a threat to our national security and international alliances.’

Strange to hear an (ex)Labour MP speak absolute truth about this on his way out, while Hatton gets let back in. Racist war crimes apologists like Chris Williamson still have the Labour whip of course. with seemingly fuck all censure for their actions. Today, he's been busily retweeting material posted by holocaust deniers.

My actual feelings about this are that it's pretty sad. Labour (or the Leadership anyway) seemingly has no desire to reach out beyond it's boundaries, have mutiple constitunencies. The strategy seems to be, you are with us or against us, hopefully May will fuck up badly enough to let us seize power. The vitriol directed their way has little to do with their politics either - I glanced over a couple of hundred hateful comments yesterday and no one mentioned them in nearly as much detail as Droid's post above.

droid

So... what's the the 'right' side of Venezuela then? Supporting a US and fascist led coup?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
So... what's the the 'right' side of Venezuela then? Supporting a US and fascist led coup?

Do I detect a whiff of "Oh, so you think..."-ery?

Maybe refraining from legitimizing a dictator whose security forces are abducting, torturing and murdering anyone suspected of criticising the regime might be a start, I dunno.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Tbh, I don't know a lot about the country and situation. But I can easily accept that Corbs and others on the Left put ideology over evidence and testimony, because I've seen it happen in other spheres. Feel free to try and persuade me I'm wrong.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
Do I detect a whiff of "Oh, so you think..."-ery?

Maybe refraining from legitimizing a dictator whose security forces are abducting, torturing and murdering anyone suspected of criticising the regime might be a start, I dunno.

maduro was democratically elected? allowed for an opposition leader to become president of the nation assembly? withstand several assassination attempts from the opposition and still allowed for this guaidó guy to roam the country free?

one very telling example of false information and us propaganda was this so called blockade of us aid over one of venezuala's bridges:

which turned out to be closed since 2016 from the colombian side https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/venezuela-bridge-aid-pompeo-1.5018432?cmp=rss

there's a good documentary on the 2002 coup attempt from the irish RTÉ that you can see here:

it's allende/pinochet all over again. if anything, labour/corbyn was late with backing up maduro.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Was just looking at the headlines, and thinking I'd be impressed by whoever defends Shamina Begum's right to citizenship. It'd seem like an ideal opportunity for the Independent Group to stake out a defence of liberal principles. Maybe it's a) too early and maybe b) they aren't very liberal at all. Stella Creasy and Diane Abbott seem to be leading the charge instead.