'yeah man, that's deep'

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
all that dubstep as the ghost of jungle. So fucking deep.

you had the prime opportunity to push wobble into insane glitch future computer music territory, especially at that slower tempo where the basslines do the double time 70/140 thing which you couldn't do with jump up dnb. but everyone recoiled because the rule of the hardcore continuum, and why it was primed to die even in 1995, was to worship the elders. the biggest curse of dance music. the only reason why this never happened in the US is because our press purchased house/techno off them and then sold it back to them in the 2010s. what a time to be alive.

You wait, in 2025, the djs will all be working for dj mag and mixmag. that's how incestuous and hierarchical the scene has become, and now mans are chatting about diversity. er ok why not in 08?

So what advice do we have for the future generations that's actually deep because london cares more about jump up drum and bass and tech house than it does Kode 9 or grime in 2019.

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
london this, london that. fuck london! noone fucking likes london anymore. that's why people want to get out of it. Our lovely Dalston used to smell beautifully eromatic. wafting kebabs and jerk chicken. dancehall/ragga jungle booming out somewhere, turkish halay tunes booming out another side. now it smells like urinals. same with hackney. london london. burn london. death to london! london vibes in music and that, it's just tech house and bleep n bass for the 21st century but reggae is such a distant memory now it doesn't even sound like the 3d rob gordon tunes it's trying to ape. sick of london. fuck london. kill it, i don't want to analyse anything from the perspective of london. north londoners are posh cunts. east londoners are smug cunts. South Londoners think the fucking gospels were written in Woolwich because they invented everything. As for West London, they're the worst of them all.

When we were all doing our irrelevant shit they were just sitting around like ur awkward mate not giving a crap about culture and making big money. The worst! and they're too shy to brag about it. Even worse!

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
whenever i tune into spooky and he plays this im always like no, we shouldn't have let the elders back in...

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Over self awareness. We're viewing ourselves from the outside in now. Like over farmed land. No nutrients left.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
was london still alive in 2011 then? that seems like such a short time ago?

I can only speak for the sound. In london, in 2007 northern bassline was the ruling sound of all young pre-18 teenage kids if you were not into indie. It was inevitable some of those kids would go wobble step. But this didn't fit with the studenty dubstep and journalist old boys, so they started making jump up dnb comparisons when really a lot of people were listening to DJ EZ on kiss on saturday night. He did more for the music than some lionised names.

That's why I always say nuum was dead in 07, not 2010-11. the north usurped london for about 1 and a half years. It was only when the bad boy/mc lead funky tunes came around that the kids were interested. Including the girls. no girl was interested in funky in 2007 who was under 16. Why would they? It was just standard vocal house. they/we were interested maybe as a nice and sexy jam on the radio but it wasn't their/our sound and we all knew it.

another thing. bassline was huge with Asian people across the country. That's something the woke journalists always skirt by.

Really if there is a parallel with jungle and the attitudes around it, it's that the cops didn't like ragga, and the cops shut down Nich. that is the parallel but because most people in dance music actually want to party knowing the police have their back they don't say anything. This actually maps onto another schism in jungle, the return of the oppressed. around late 96-97 ragga was still taboo, so the intelligent boys got sick of their music being made jakuzi lite. that's neurofunk. dark but intelligent beats. that was the wobble dubstep around 08. and in the same way that was rife to get dumbed down, by 2011 wobble got bad companified.

Last edited:

CrowleyHead

Would you say wobble got Bad companified then or before because technically Caspa & Rusko serve that purpose imo. The Skrillex stuff is something v. diff. in my mind.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Well the bad company vibe i associate more with flux pavillian bass canon and stuff like that. Otherwise the ave it vol 2 is still a crackin ep imo. All jerking basslines.

Mind you a neurofunk track from 1998 wouldn't have a guy ritchie sample so i wouldn't belabour the point. I'm not claiming that this was the return of the intelligent so much as the oppressed which went into bassline, and then reemerged in wobble in a london context, towards the end of 08. fabriclive 37 still sounds positively restrained to what came in 09 in some places.

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
i mean this was on dub in 2009. looking back its really gimmicky the max romeo sample just sits awkwardly in the mix but then isn't a lot of visceral rave music? we always tend to gravitate to the more ... (um not intelligent but) historically innovative strains looking back. this was none of that but at the time it was lethal.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
one for blissblogger to dissect.

Can see how this became a dead end in all honesty. definitely, 100%. But i think the pavlovian or teenage idiot impulse itself was not a bad impulse inherently, which is what some of the rhetoric started edging to.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
what i was hoping for was a kind of dj scud type (i hate using the term deconstruction, but recontextualisation) just like he took out all the happy happy hands in the air cheese aspect of the pan-european hardcore and just left blasts of hoovers, distorted breaks, white noise and ragga chat, i was hoping this pan-global dubstep someone would take it apart, and actually fully realise Joe Muggs contention of it being an unholy mishmash of Aphex Twin and London pirate radio. just leave the snarling underbelly. instead the scene just left the deep scene to do its own thing and go back to small clubs, whilst brostep eventualy got filed as advert music alongside electro house. boring and anticlimactic.

As for aphex twin.