Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The replayables

Quote Originally Posted by thirdform View Post
    the thing is im not supposed to be in music, i was the bloke who was picked on in school, im always moody, a real dork, i prefer keeping to myself most times. that's why its like i try not to think about these things cos then im like why am i even thinking about this in the first place. it's like enforced pleasure ain't it, a pleasure prison as that Achim Szepanski lad said in Simon's book.
    These are exactly the people who are into music

Presumably all obsessions are extreme metaphors waiting to be born. That whole private mythology, in which I believe totally, is a collaboration between one's conscious mind and those obsessions that, one by one, present themselves as stepping-stones. - Ballard

The internet has hardly eliminated obsessions - in fact, it nurtures it (the echo chamber/bubble effect)

But relating to art - I mean, maybe this is returning to the 'internet music' thread... are people less likely to be obsessed with one or a couple of artists, now they can access all art?
    Last edited by Corpsey; 27-02-2019 at 05:13 PM.

As a rule I get bored of myself very easily and have to break down the personality again and again.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

I am re-listening/re-watching and re-reading all the time. For me, I also sense a diference between re-listening to stuff I was actually closely following when it was current (like lots of 90s and 2000s electronical music) and stuff that I never experienced in it's time. I never listen to the former to indulge in nostalgia, I usually connect it to now/the present, since it's always a new experience really. That's also the reason I never bought into that whole "retro-mania". The past can never be re-lived, and if you pit "classics" against current stuff, you get an idea why the classics became classics: they usually have a certain quality. I mean people bemoaning music as being "retro" bc some bloke uses a LinnDrum just robs themselves off a great listening experience.
    Last edited by firefinga; 27-02-2019 at 09:12 PM.

Craner is at the opposite end of the spectrum to me. He has a venomous antipathy towards the new and unfamiliar. There is a small number of things he likes and he likes them more each time he engages eith them. Incredibly he even extends this to sport, rewatching the same matches and events till he knows the commentary off by heart.

did barry feed luke some datura or something. not even joking missing them both in a romantic way.
    Funnily enough we were talking on the phone today about how fantastic you are. An inspired man. I haven't had a computer since November which makes using dissensus very frustrating and Barry is a man with a very deep need to be loved and as he doesn't feel dissensus loves him he doesn't use it as much as we'd like him too.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

nah we love him he just needs to have less antipathy to the robocock. otherwise he'll be listening to killa priest over and over again when he's 60. which is cool but like

Ah fuck i we'll be listening to the same 93 jungle tapes lol.

Default undiminishing returns

I rarely do the replaying things over and over as an active choice, simply because i feel the invisible pressure of all things i haven't listened to, and then all the things i haven't listened to twice

getting stuck on a particular record sometimes happens involuntarily, though, like an addiction, and there is a voluptuous pleasure to succumbing to that - like the voluptuous pleasure in allowing yourself to reread a favorite book for the umpteenth time when you've never got round to reading e.g. Proust, or [hesitates for a moment before confessing] Kafka. spurning all the improving and expanding experiences you should be having for this regressive, repetitious pleasure.

less strictly on topic but related - i am very interested in the repeatability of pop music - this is less about active choice but listening to the radio - how there are certain songs that you never tire of hearing, that they never fail to work - radio rock classics like Boston "More Than A Feeling", Van Halen "Jump", BoC " don't fear the reaper", the big Fleetwood Mac or Abba tunes... Usher's "Yeah"... "don't stop til you get enough"

it's a property peculiar to pop i think

they are a fair number of movies that you'd happily watch three times maybe in close succession - or watch again after a reasonably long gap - but there are hardly any movies i think that you could watch 20 times... you would get into the diminishing returns zone... Whereas there's loads of songs that you could play 20 or 100 times and still get the exact same buzz

i suppose it's partly to do with duration, a song or track is so much shorter than a movie, let alone a book

but it's also to do with plotlessness, the lack of a narrative pay-off, most songs are not really stories as such, the build and release works in a different way ... and the way that music hits like a drug, you can administer it as a way to change your mood - or if it comes on when you're idly listening to the radio, it changes the energy in the room or the vehicle

11. The Following User Says Thank You to blissblogger For This Useful Post:

Their structure tends to be fairground ride rather than storybook. Whizz you round and round, take you up to great height, suspense, plummet.... that sort of thing

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    Funnily enough we were talking on the phone today about how fantastic you are. An inspired man.
    this is true

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post

Barry is a man with a very deep need to be loved and as he doesn't feel dissensus loves him he doesn't use it as much as we'd like him too.
    this is not

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sadmanbarty For This Useful Post:

i spent my teens vivaciously consuming the entire history of recorded music and i've still ended up only listening to about 6 things.

there's some absolute classic thirdform in the thread.

a middle class concern.
    what does this even mean?!

protestants ruined music.

yeah i don't think i'll ever get sick of pharoah at his best or coltrane simply because they transcended what we call genre without being a hyper-fascist capitalist omnivore

it's like enforced pleasure ain't it
    ironically thridform is actually the martin luther of north london

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sadmanbarty For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    I was actually thinking this applied more to Alice Coltrane than John. He may have made the greater contribution to music but is more easily defined, Alice is in my mind more "other".
    Yeah but she went off the deep end after 74.