Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The replayables

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    But relating to art - I mean, maybe this is returning to the 'internet music' thread... are people less likely to be obsessed with one or a couple of artists, now they can access all art?
    as much as my experience with music has been shaped by the internet (almost entirely, really), definitely fall into the 'obsess over a couple of artists' category. the idea of listening to something once, thinking ok, that was good and then just completely moving on seems insane to me. personally I'd hate doing that.

obviously the internet constantly directs your attention to new things, but I wonder if whether you always listen to the same things or to something new comes down to a difference in personality types rather than internet-induced habits. I'd guess that "artist-types" tend to do the former whereas "critic-types" tend to do the latter.
    Last edited by mvuent; 27-02-2019 at 11:42 PM.

I know people who will listen to 3 hours of minimal dnb straight and not call it boring. Also know people who are literally obsessed with playing nothing but dnb. just another reason why djing must be killedin 2019.

But then I can listen to an hour of french speedcore so who knows.

is traditional pop music the least or most replayable?
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    replayability (new word!) is, for me, far less likely to happen with any forms of pop or rock, 3:00 minute tracks with traditional song structure. they may be great pop songs, but they are too defined. needs to be odd, flowing "other" music.
    Quote Originally Posted by blissblogger View Post
    less strictly on topic but related - i am very interested in the repeatability of pop music - this is less about active choice but listening to the radio - how there are certain songs that you never tire of hearing, that they never fail to work - radio rock classics like Boston "More Than A Feeling", Van Halen "Jump", BoC " don't fear the reaper", the big Fleetwood Mac or Abba tunes... Usher's "Yeah"... "don't stop til you get enough"

it's a property peculiar to pop i think
    maybe music can be replayable in different senses. there's replayability in the sense where something takes a lot of listening to get your head around fully (basically what you described Leo); but then also in the sense where you know something (like one the songs above) inside out and its impact still hasn't faded. at some point the former has to give way to the latter.

(though music that comes close to revealing something new each listen tends to be my favorite, assuming that what's revealed is good/interesting.)
    Last edited by mvuent; 28-02-2019 at 06:09 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mvuent For This Useful Post:

Leo

can't say im all that into pop these days. it's not that im anti-pop, in fact i wish i was more into pop. it's more that it doesn't get me going because you can't be wonky in pop really. and given that we *live* in the future it's only really the synaesthetic and the unknown that can still satisfy the utopian craving.

Quote Originally Posted by thirdform View Post
    I know people who will listen to 3 hours of minimal dnb straight and not call it boring. Also know people who are literally obsessed with playing nothing but dnb. just another reason why djing must be killedin 2019.

But then I can listen to an hour of french speedcore so who knows.
    Those Minimal-Techno heads are way worse. There are guys (especially Germany seems to be prone to that) who listen to that stuff for over 20 years now.

I can replay and reread music and books to death but just can't do it with films, for some reason.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Christiane F, Police Story, Robocop, Blade Runner, Rabid Dogs and Mean Girls are all great flicks and I really enjoyed them, but I could happily live without seeing them again (though I have revisited BladeRunner, just to look at the cityscapes and fantasise about living in Tyrell's luxury condo/replicant testing room). I suppose arty/experimental shorts are replayable. Just find it pointless rewatching a film when you already know what's going to happen, unless it's raining and you're broke and there is literally nothing else to do.

The 'con' is that, after time, various plots bleed into one and you end up trying to remember 'that film' where an infanticidal priest rides around with an orangutan and has to spend millions of dollars in a day without dropping below 50mph or the Death Star gets blown up.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to martin For This Useful Post:

I suspect that for most music that is highly replayable a sort of personal re-appropriation needs to succeed, as to extend the music beyond its original intent (whatever that might be). I highly doubt Dozzy had me working late nights in mind when he composed his K tape. Or Omar S and his Ask The Lonely. But somehow that is what both albums became for me, up to the point that it would feel very strange to hear that music in any other context.

Quote Originally Posted by m99188868 View Post
    up to the point that it would feel very strange to hear that music in any other context.
    This is a good point and very true. Just as I can never hear Dolores O'Riordan's heartfelt crooning on "Zombie" without recalling a dancer in a seedy Bangkok bar shooting ping pong balls from her crotch.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to martin For This Useful Post:

Martin needs to write an autobiography

I'd also like one from Craner

I got craner writing his memoirs. I read some extracts and they were amazing, lavishly cruel. He lost momentum though. Being talented is no protection against inertia, the great enemy

Quote Originally Posted by thirdform View Post
    can't say im all that into pop these days. it's not that im anti-pop, in fact i wish i was more into pop. it's more that it doesn't get me going because you can't be wonky in pop really. and given that we *live* in the future it's only really the synaesthetic and the unknown that can still satisfy the utopian craving.

Was kinda hoping u lot would respond to this. and i don't mean art pop like pc music, i mean the real capitalist deal.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    I got craner writing his memoirs. I read some extracts and they were amazing, lavishly cruel. He lost momentum though. Being talented is no protection against inertia, the great enemy
    I still have those. They were unprintable then, even more so now, after Mark. I can send them in samizdata though.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to craner For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by craner View Post
    I still have those. They were unprintable then, even more so now, after Mark. I can send them in samizdata though.
    Pls