luka

did barry feed luke some datura or something. not even joking missing them both in a romantic way.

Funnily enough we were talking on the phone today about how fantastic you are. An inspired man. I haven't had a computer since November which makes using dissensus very frustrating and Barry is a man with a very deep need to be loved and as he doesn't feel dissensus loves him he doesn't use it as much as we'd like him too.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
nah we love him he just needs to have less antipathy to the robocock. otherwise he'll be listening to killa priest over and over again when he's 60. which is cool but like

Ah fuck i we'll be listening to the same 93 jungle tapes lol.

blissblogger

undiminishing returns

I rarely do the replaying things over and over as an active choice, simply because i feel the invisible pressure of all things i haven't listened to, and then all the things i haven't listened to twice

getting stuck on a particular record sometimes happens involuntarily, though, like an addiction, and there is a voluptuous pleasure to succumbing to that - like the voluptuous pleasure in allowing yourself to reread a favorite book for the umpteenth time when you've never got round to reading e.g. Proust, or [hesitates for a moment before confessing] Kafka. spurning all the improving and expanding experiences you should be having for this regressive, repetitious pleasure.

less strictly on topic but related - i am very interested in the repeatability of pop music - this is less about active choice but listening to the radio - how there are certain songs that you never tire of hearing, that they never fail to work - radio rock classics like Boston "More Than A Feeling", Van Halen "Jump", BoC " don't fear the reaper", the big Fleetwood Mac or Abba tunes... Usher's "Yeah"... "don't stop til you get enough"

it's a property peculiar to pop i think

they are a fair number of movies that you'd happily watch three times maybe in close succession - or watch again after a reasonably long gap - but there are hardly any movies i think that you could watch 20 times... you would get into the diminishing returns zone... Whereas there's loads of songs that you could play 20 or 100 times and still get the exact same buzz

i suppose it's partly to do with duration, a song or track is so much shorter than a movie, let alone a book

but it's also to do with plotlessness, the lack of a narrative pay-off, most songs are not really stories as such, the build and release works in a different way ... and the way that music hits like a drug, you can administer it as a way to change your mood - or if it comes on when you're idly listening to the radio, it changes the energy in the room or the vehicle

luka

Their structure tends to be fairground ride rather than storybook. Whizz you round and round, take you up to great height, suspense, plummet.... that sort of thing

sadmanbarty

i spent my teens vivaciously consuming the entire history of recorded music and i've still ended up only listening to about 6 things.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I was actually thinking this applied more to Alice Coltrane than John. He may have made the greater contribution to music but is more easily defined, Alice is in my mind more "other".

Yeah but she went off the deep end after 74.

mvuent

Void Dweller
But relating to art - I mean, maybe this is returning to the 'internet music' thread... are people less likely to be obsessed with one or a couple of artists, now they can access all art?
as much as my experience with music has been shaped by the internet (almost entirely, really), definitely fall into the 'obsess over a couple of artists' category. the idea of listening to something once, thinking ok, that was good and then just completely moving on seems insane to me. personally I'd hate doing that.

obviously the internet constantly directs your attention to new things, but I wonder if whether you always listen to the same things or to something new comes down to a difference in personality types rather than internet-induced habits. I'd guess that "artist-types" tend to do the former whereas "critic-types" tend to do the latter.

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I know people who will listen to 3 hours of minimal dnb straight and not call it boring. Also know people who are literally obsessed with playing nothing but dnb. just another reason why djing must be killedin 2019.

But then I can listen to an hour of french speedcore so who knows.

mvuent

Void Dweller
is traditional pop music the least or most replayable?
replayability (new word!) is, for me, far less likely to happen with any forms of pop or rock, 3:00 minute tracks with traditional song structure. they may be great pop songs, but they are too defined. needs to be odd, flowing "other" music.

less strictly on topic but related - i am very interested in the repeatability of pop music - this is less about active choice but listening to the radio - how there are certain songs that you never tire of hearing, that they never fail to work - radio rock classics like Boston "More Than A Feeling", Van Halen "Jump", BoC " don't fear the reaper", the big Fleetwood Mac or Abba tunes... Usher's "Yeah"... "don't stop til you get enough"

it's a property peculiar to pop i think

maybe music can be replayable in different senses. there's replayability in the sense where something takes a lot of listening to get your head around fully (basically what you described Leo); but then also in the sense where you know something (like one the songs above) inside out and its impact still hasn't faded. at some point the former has to give way to the latter.

(though music that comes close to revealing something new each listen tends to be my favorite, assuming that what's revealed is good/interesting.)

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
can't say im all that into pop these days. it's not that im anti-pop, in fact i wish i was more into pop. it's more that it doesn't get me going because you can't be wonky in pop really. and given that we *live* in the future it's only really the synaesthetic and the unknown that can still satisfy the utopian craving.

firefinga

I know people who will listen to 3 hours of minimal dnb straight and not call it boring. Also know people who are literally obsessed with playing nothing but dnb. just another reason why djing must be killedin 2019.

But then I can listen to an hour of french speedcore so who knows.

Those Minimal-Techno heads are way worse. There are guys (especially Germany seems to be prone to that) who listen to that stuff for over 20 years now.

martin

----
I can replay and reread music and books to death but just can't do it with films, for some reason.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Christiane F, Police Story, Robocop, Blade Runner, Rabid Dogs and Mean Girls are all great flicks and I really enjoyed them, but I could happily live without seeing them again (though I have revisited BladeRunner, just to look at the cityscapes and fantasise about living in Tyrell's luxury condo/replicant testing room). I suppose arty/experimental shorts are replayable. Just find it pointless rewatching a film when you already know what's going to happen, unless it's raining and you're broke and there is literally nothing else to do.

The 'con' is that, after time, various plots bleed into one and you end up trying to remember 'that film' where an infanticidal priest rides around with an orangutan and has to spend millions of dollars in a day without dropping below 50mph or the Death Star gets blown up.

Numbers

I suspect that for most music that is highly replayable a sort of personal re-appropriation needs to succeed, as to extend the music beyond its original intent (whatever that might be). I highly doubt Dozzy had me working late nights in mind when he composed his K tape. Or Omar S and his Ask The Lonely. But somehow that is what both albums became for me, up to the point that it would feel very strange to hear that music in any other context.

martin

----
up to the point that it would feel very strange to hear that music in any other context.

This is a good point and very true. Just as I can never hear Dolores O'Riordan's heartfelt crooning on "Zombie" without recalling a dancer in a seedy Bangkok bar shooting ping pong balls from her crotch.

luka

I got craner writing his memoirs. I read some extracts and they were amazing, lavishly cruel. He lost momentum though. Being talented is no protection against inertia, the great enemy