droid

Not assuming you cant defend yourself of course, maybe youre a black belt - but strength in numbers etc.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Without going into the whole thing, I think you're totally right here. I also think you're right when you guess they will stay anonymous... but you never know.

luka

I like the idea. I don't fit in with your crowd but it's the sort of thing I want to see in the world. Breaking away from pubs and drunkenness and talking to one another in public space. Dissensus works quite well for me but I also need it in real life. As I say I would likey public poetry to be more like that but it's centred around a commercial transaction ultimately. Tricky.

john eden

male pale and stale
Yeah I mean anonymity is justified if your safety would be endangered otherwise but that's clearly not the case here. And Maybe Diggedity Derek will return to the forum and explain why he sacked Nina.

John are you going to the park to debate? It could be quite an ugly spectacle actually. I hope there's some adults there to stop people getting overexcited.

I won't be going to the park to debate, no. I have a prior arrangement to visit a lovely Tibetan family I know instead.

Also:

1. Life is too short to hang about with tedious bellends like DC Miller
2. There is a risk that people who turn up will be filmed and then doxxed by alt-right idiots or student union revolutionaries. That is not a massive deal for me, but I would prefer to avoid it (ditto getting a slap, but that leaves less of a mark).

I agree that the anonymous take downs are cowardly though.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I won't be going to the park to debate, no. I have a prior arrangement to visit a lovely Tibetan family I know instead.

Also:

1. Life is too short to hang about with tedious bellends like DC Miller
2. There is a risk that people who turn up will be filmed and then doxxed by alt-right idiots or student union revolutionaries. That is not a massive deal for me, but I would prefer to avoid it (ditto getting a slap, but that leaves less of a mark).

I agree that the anonymous take downs are cowardly though.
Yeah. Is there no way to challenge the anonymous letter writers to reveal themselves without arranging a huge public thing?

Nina

I don't know how else to draw attention to the cowardly nature of the anonymity. People have suggested various people who might have written the letter, but I'm just utterly sick of people using my name constantly while not revealing theirs, when they are the ones attacking me, losing me work etc. I know it seems like a weird and possibly risky move to call for a public thing but I seriously don't know how else to make this online thing into something more real, something that might actually have an end, or at least a different value. I just feel like I have nothing to fucking lose and I just can't bear this endless parade of attacks on screens. I'm so fucking upset about the Wire thing. I'm so sick of losing work and being called whatever names people feel like it because I went on a meandering youtube video! I fucking hate cowardice. It's my least favourite thing about people. I said I had nothing to lose and I meant it.

Leo

I wouldn't be surprised if the people behind the blog post and twitter feed do show up, but sit anonymously in the audience, too cowardly to confront you and state their case face-to-face. and then write another blog post afterwards about it.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I can totally understand all that.
Fundamentally, if you are going to accuse someone of something in a way that has or even can have serious repercussions for their life, their work, their finances etc then you HAVE to give them the right to reply/deny and really I think you should not hide who you are. Surely that's just basic?

john eden

male pale and stale
It's a bit of an assumption that they are even in London though? (I have no idea if they are or are not and can't be arsed reading it all tbh so maybe there is reason to suspect they are)

I think it's quite naive to think that they will out themselves in a public place at a time you have specified.

Possibly they believe that very bad things will happen to them if their identity is revealed. Or possibly they just like taking a pop at people on the internet without any accountability.

I am guessing that nobody has turned up mob handed to any of your recent public appearances where they would have had you on the back foot, so I can't understand why they would bother with this but maybe I am wrong.

Being a boring lefty I would suggest that you ask for a meeting with the people at The Wire and also contact the NUJ if you are a member.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I don't know how else to draw attention to the cowardly nature of the anonymity. People have suggested various people who might have written the letter, but I'm just utterly sick of people using my name constantly while not revealing theirs, when they are the ones attacking me, losing me work etc. I know it seems like a weird and possibly risky move to call for a public thing but I seriously don't know how else to make this online thing into something more real, something that might actually have an end, or at least a different value. I just feel like I have nothing to fucking lose and I just can't bear this endless parade of attacks on screens. I'm so fucking upset about the Wire thing. I'm so sick of losing work and being called whatever names people feel like it because I went on a meandering youtube video! I fucking hate cowardice. It's my least favourite thing about people. I said I had nothing to lose and I meant it.

Well, if they don't show up, or show up but don't say anything or announce themselves, at least you'll have the satisfaction of knowing you have a lot more balls/ovaries than they do.

IdleRich

IdleRich
In seriousness, I totally get it. The purpose may be hard to elucidate but surely it's easy to understand?

luka

I'm a bit uneasy with how many strangers have been viewing this thread. It's like people staring at you in your living room.

john eden

male pale and stale
Hello anonymous lurkers!

Luka is apparently in charge of Dissensus but it isn’t all his fault. He does his best.

luka

I'm quite nurturing etc. Encourage the youth and whatever. High tolerance for aberrant behaviour.
Don't judge me too harshly pls.