IdleRich

IdleRich
I don't know anything* about the individuals involved but looks like they fucked up by going to court. In that thing where he pretends they won he admits as much by saying something like "we thought the threat would make him back off". Again from reading between the lines it seems that they thought that would work and when it didn't they were too proud or thought that they were too committed to back off... and I guess the other guy had a rich dad who could pay for top level lawyers. I imagine that the moment when they got that particular piece of information wasn't one of their best...

And however they spin it, in fact even if they had won, I'm sure that if they could have their time over again then they would choose not to go through it - four years of stress at great cost to achieve something that would at best have been intangible.

And, let me repeat this, I've said it before, and it's obvious. We all know it really. They probably knew it. But I think it's fair to say that while we all knew it at some level, speaking for myself at least - and, based on what I've seen, this was also true for DCM and NP - I didn't really truly, properly grasp it at the fundamental level I should have done - you should NEVER EVER take someone to court if you have any other conceivable option.

I think that if you're like me you've heard that said before and yet at some level the brain is reluctant to accept that if you're right and you're telling the truth that the law won't somehow help you. It's very hard to believe that it's really as bad as people say and that there is no kind of magic thing that will somehow make it ok and save you.

I dunno if that makes sense - maybe it's just me who felt that way - but I'm glad that somehow this truth has moved from an intellectual one that I knew and said I believed to an actual visceral truth that I feel in myself and truly grasp as fundamental. I'm sorry others had to suffer for it to get through to me like that but now I actually get it for real and I will do anything to avoid it happening to me.

*I mean I've seen them on dissensus and in other places but I've not met any of them - and DC Miller seems to be so different from Josef K that my mind is unable to reconcile their being the same person, never kind to pretend to know what they are actually like.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
So what are the concrete consequences of being declared bankrupt, then? I imagine it makes getting a mortgage or any other kind of loan tricky, if not impossible.

poetix

we murder to dissect
... and I guess the other guy had a rich dad who could pay for top level lawyers. I imagine that the moment when they got that particular piece of information wasn't one of their best...
eh, they were putting it about that Turner was heir to a multi-million textile fortune, I doubt that bit was really a surprise

IdleRich

IdleRich
Oh really, so they knew he would be able to access that money and get the most expensive soiicitor in the country but they still tried to sue him on something so tenuous?

IdleRich

IdleRich
So really nothing was achieved in court and they paid more than eight hundred thousand pounds to do so (as they have to pay eighty percent of what they claim is more than a million pounds in legal fees that Turner racked up). Hmmm. But they can't possibly pay that surely... and they declare bankruptcy, so does that mean the lawyers don't get paid? That would be terrilbe after they put in so much work, my heart bleeds for them.

IdleRich

IdleRich
But somehow I feel that that aint gonna happen. What would be the incentive for the lawyers to win if that meant that the claimant who is clearly unable to pay them would end up owing them for their fees? Or does it happen that the defendant paid the lawyers and then they have to get the money from the losers? In which case winning the case and having the others ordered to pay the fees is utterly meaningless.

luka

If you went to any reputable law firm and said should I pursue this they'd say well obviously not its comedic

luka

Youd have to search high and low for someone unscrupulous enough to go yeah alright I'll do it, sounds great

luka

Yeah that's an air tight case Daniel did you say your dad is the publisher of the spectator? We can certainly fight your corner