zhao

there are no accidents
Wait I did see and read the negation of negation, cancelling cancelling blog post from Nina, but can someone bring me up to speed on the panel she was on with Daniel Miller? What happened exactly and where can I see/hear it? (Unless it's Trans/TERF beef then never mind, I prefer not to know)

luka

Wait I did see and read the negation of negation, cancelling cancelling blog post from Nina, but can someone bring me up to speed on the panel she was on with Daniel Miller? What happened exactly and where can I see/hear it? (Unless it's Trans/TERF beef then never mind, I prefer not to know)

That's what this thread is about.

zhao

there are no accidents
Ah right. I had forgotten how this works lol thanks.

watched half of it and nothing terribly illuminating is it... Not even an explicit mention of PROPERTY and PATRILINEAL DESCENT and INHERITANCE on the question of the origin of women's subordination? Daniel tends to wax theoretic as someone who likes the sound of his own synapsis firing, but Nina really should have been much more concrete on many of these points.

droid

Sometimes it feels like we’ve lost our ability to talk to people who are different from ourselves. Call me old-fashioned, but I like to think that people can always find some common ground if they keep an open mind, even if they don’t vote for the same politicians or both adhere to the same anti-Marxist, anti-intellectual worldview. If you don’t agree with my point of view, or believe that a scourge of cultural and social decadence poisoned the Weimar Republic in the 1920s, let’s talk about it! It’s called a conversation — look it up sometime.

It’s funny, but when I was growing up, they used to teach us that talking to someone who doesn’t share your point of view was a good thing! We used to welcome a spirited debate and never shied away from controversial topics like whether or not the Aryan master race was descended from the lost continent of Atlantis. But I suppose in these modern times people would rather avoid “unpleasant” subjects than have a real discussion with any substance. Then again, maybe I’m just an anachronism from a simpler and more racist bygone era.

https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles...ns-to-agree-with-adolf-hitler-on-a-few-things

Leo

it is a shame. tough call, whether her part in the video justified firing. I was only able to watch 10 minutes of the video before wondering why I was wasting part of my life on it, the other two seemed to be more problematic. maybe Nina's post-video defense of them caused her more harm than her actual participation. people have to take responsibility for their actions and opinions, and be prepared for how others will react to them, justified or not.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I guess I can say... she wrote about it on her facebook.
I don't know her but I think she's been badly treated.

Leo

I don't know her either, at first it seemed like guilt by association with the other two in the video but she afterwards was pretty strong in her defense of them in her blog post. still doesn't seem like enough to warrant firing, though.

that being said, she's mentioned being "canceled" from a number of work projects and speaking ops, accusing people of having it out for her. maybe that's true but I can't help thinking there must be some reason why. that type of thing doesn't usually happen to someone multiple times for no reason.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I don't like this guilt by association type thing. I mean, she appeared on a video with two mildly annoying dickheads, what does that have to do with her music writing? As far as I know she didn't say anything overtly racist or beyond the pale in another way so it seems weird.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Can't say I've ever felt much sympathy for the kind of culture over at the wire, even prior to its woke ittirations.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I don't like this guilt by association type thing. I mean, she appeared on a video with two mildly annoying dickheads, what does that have to do with her music writing? As far as I know she didn't say anything overtly racist or beyond the pale in another way so it seems weird.

This is how the industry works though in general. an elevated spectacle just to lay off people. it's simple economics really, something she as a marxist should be aware of given her constant appeals to the intolerant left. well yes, the left is a cultural industry. is that news? Do people who aren't bourgeois academics seriously believe in the liberatory potential on the left? Most people on the street don't, at any rate.

Last edited: