Breeding.

jenks

thread death
I know Luka doesn't like quote dumps but the first thing i thought of when i saw this thread was this from Macbeth:

Ay, in the catalogue ye go for men,
As hounds and greyhounds, mongrels, spaniels, curs,
Shoughs, water-rugs, and demi-wolves are clept
All by the name of dogs. The valued file
Distinguishes the swift, the slow, the subtle,
The housekeeper, the hunter, every one
According to the gift which bounteous nature
Hath in him closed, whereby he does receive
Particular addition, from the bill
That writes them all alike. And so of men.
Now, if you have a station in the file,
Not i' th' worst rank of manhood, say ’t.

luka

I like them when they're Shakespeare. Less so if it's a guardian/nyt opinion piece.

luka

"It's few of the natives who get this work. He's brought in a lot of new men from Bristol and Bath, a stronger, better-fed type, and more docile too!"

A Glastonbury Romance
John Cowper Powys

luka

that's a sentence which inflames the imagination. it hints at a kind of capitalist eugenics which connects to the colonialist project. the word natives here refers to the Glastonbury locals but makes us think of the colonised subjects of the European empires and new men means new additions to the work force but also means a new type of man. a new factory model from the cities and not the rural towns and villages.

luka

part of our obsession with 'generations' is this same sense of capitalism and technology creating new types of men, those which will supplant us, which are superior to us in all sorts of quantifiable ways, but also seem monsterous and inhuman.

Last edited:

luka

this is a supreme thread, just waiting for the right breed of man to emerge and run with it.

luka

cant beleive im the only man in here thats really into eugenics. i bet constant escape shares my passion.

luka

please click on it. its lord rothermere with geordie grieg and you can see breeding in action. it's obvious who was born in a tuxedo and who had to work for a living. who is master and who is slave.

luka

the editor is small, diffident, balding, scruffy, ink stained, work harried
and the lord is twice his height, broad chested, curls, jutting jaw, insoucicant

luka

it's a mystery to me. i didnt want to get sidetracked with it though. i dont want to foster a 'cult of personality'

luka

im like k-punk. im just an abstract machine making whirring noises and rational decisions

luka

I think it's linked to my stuff about 'the cut' partly. On page 13 of the evolution thread. I also think because it's suggestive of the violence used to ensure adherence to a standard. The precise enunciation and so on.

luka

There's other stuff in there too. It denotes formality which is the opposite of familiarity and ease and friendship. You picture a Victorian upbringing with no hugs and kisses. Just embroidery practice and cold baths.