Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 162

Thread: Futurism's overrated

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    17,833

    Default

    It is wildly overrated, indont get why that is picked out as some epochal tune. Great film though and my point still stands

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    17,833

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sadmanbarty View Post
    it restrains the imagination. strangles it and limits to a set of tropes defined in the late-50's.
    The attempt to imagine the future is the precondition to creating the future.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,169

    Default

    nobody imagined the future that eventually arrived. it just emerged.

    our whole culture narrative of the future was defined by it's relationship to conquering the physical and what ended up happening was a complete retreat from the physical.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    17,833

    Default

    I take your point. It's a good point, but there's no other way to go but ahead that I can see, so you're saddled with the future. Unless you can think of a way out

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:


  6. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The Fear - Dublin
    Posts
    7,638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sadmanbarty View Post
    metalheadz is cringe-inducingly embarrassing.
    Worst opinion since Crowley dunked Dillinja.

    Headz '93


  7. The Following User Says Thank You to droid For This Useful Post:


  8. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,169

    Default

    now is the way out

  9. #37
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The Fear - Dublin
    Posts
    7,638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    It is wildly overrated, indont get why that is picked out as some epochal tune. Great film though and my point still stands
    Dont encourage him.

  10. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    17,833

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sadmanbarty View Post
    now
    Saying now is exactly the same as saying the future when it comes down to it because it's defined by being distinct from the past

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:


  12. #39
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,169

    Default

    i do love that. i meant 1995 onwards metalheadz.

  13. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    17,833

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    Worst opinion since Crowley dunked Dillinja.

    Headz '93

    Fundamental rule of dissensus is you can't win an argument by posting youtube as if quality was self evident

  14. #41
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,169

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    Saying now is exactly the same as saying the future when it comes down to it because it's defined by being distinct from the past
    now is reflecting and emulating lived experience. futurism isn't.

  15. #42
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The Fear - Dublin
    Posts
    7,638

    Default

    There are no discrete units here. Futurism is a strain that runs all the way through 92-95 alongside many other threads, all promiscuously intermingling.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to droid For This Useful Post:


  17. #43
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The Fear - Dublin
    Posts
    7,638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    Fundamental rule of dissensus is you can't win an argument by posting youtube as if quality was self evident
    Rules?

  18. #44
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    17,833

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    Rules?
    Yes. The Rules. You should have been sent a copy.

  19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:


  20. #45
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The Fear - Dublin
    Posts
    7,638

    Default

    It's the historian's curse, Ive done it myself. Slice and dice into neat packages and weigh each segment like an academic Anubis. A fatally flawed method that ignores the glorious mess of culture.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •