Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Essentials: do you rate them?

Default Essentials: do you rate them?

I never rated essentials based upon hearing 'Jenny', but I just heard LAST NIGHT and that tune is heavy.
    What our other essential tracks to check? What do you think of them?

Jenny was an unfortunate choice of single really- a decent track, but not a patch on their self-aggrandising anthemns Can't Bring It To Essentials and Shut Down Shop. Those tunes simply rule. Pity they've never been properly released.

they are massive and as a crew work really well together.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiddy
    they are massive
    apart from jendor

(sorry)

i'm not a fan of essentials. they don't seem to have any personality. can't really fault davinche's production, but the mcs do nothing for me whatsoever.

For me, the fact that in some ways their MCs acknowledge their limitations makes them that much stronger as a unit- is it New Era who says "I might not be the best, but I'll merk any MC who wanna come test"?. This forming-as-a-unit, doing it for the team ethos makes them all the more stronger, indeed this doing it for my crew ethos is a very present theme in the lyrics- Jendor's lyrics on the Bossman special of Shut Down Shop are basically those of a hype man- "it's all about my DJ".

Default short answer: NO

put it this way...if they didn't have Da'Vinche in their camp were would they be?
    1 $/ of aid is NOTHING compared to 1 $/ of FAIR trade....

Ekome....

Agree with Derek and Fiddy...and without Davinchie they'd have Bossman, who's also an topboy producer

Quote Originally Posted by bun-u
    Agree with Derek and Fiddy...and without Davinchie they'd have Bossman, who's also an topboy producer

Ok - I wasnt aware Bossman also did tunes. Can you tell me some of the tunes he's done please?
    1 $/ of aid is NOTHING compared to 1 $/ of FAIR trade....

Ekome....

captain easychord Guest

isn't the fact that essentials hooked up with davinche itself indicative of 'talent'? recognizing talent and collaborating?

they work better as a unit than almost any other crew IMO. they all know each others lyrics and back each other up, and bossman is BIG DJ.

Get Over It by Essentials is a huge tune
    what you know about ips, we are the top boys in ips

jimbackhouse Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tactics
    Ok - I wasnt aware Bossman also did tunes. Can you tell me some of the tunes he's done please?
    Bongo Eyes I & II for starters

Bongo Eyes II (reverse) is sick! every 16 bars it switches to this really absurd lurching reverse section which sounds as if the record's grinding to a halt. it's like a lumbering metallic monster. yet to hear any mcs over it.

From hearing those 2 tracks alone i'd totally rate bossman as a producer.

Jim, I'm sure I've got Bongo Eyes II on some radio sets I have on mp3. I could chop it out if you want to hear it?

I like Essentials, from the bit of them performing in Rhythm Division that's on both Risky Roadz and Aim High 2 they come across as a really tight crew who work well together and get things hype. Plus I'm into the fat/thin short/tall combination they have going on.

Essentials are big big BIG.

Most under rated crew IMO.

Jim:
    http://s38.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1...U36HINM3JN9AO0

It's from a set by some crew called the Militant Terrorists, which I snagged off the RWD Forum a couple days ago.

jimbackhouse Guest

thanks for that! i'll check it