luka

He's not a habitual drinker and I tell you what the lad is absolutely fucking steaming. Tried to expose himself to a wpc, luckily I managed to sheild his modesty just in time

Bellwoods

In the 1870s, Japan decided to go all-in on the whole westernization thing. Apparently in a very, very short period of time, everyone was dressing in western clothes, listening to western music, putting up western-style buildings. But the thing is, very often these things were western-looking, but not actually western. For example, there was gyofu, "western-style" architecture, which was vaguely western-looking architecture made with traditional Japanese materials and construction techniques—because there were no western-trained architects/craftsman in Japan at the time. Japanese men would come home, change out of their western clothing (top hats etc.) and put on their traditional Japanese clothing for around the house.

What was the point of this? Why would so much of Japan choose to perform westernization even before things had technologically (ie. organically) shifted? Some of it was about signalling to other countries, presumably, that Japan had entered the modern world in a serious way... but I also think people will play a role as a way of willing an identity or situation into reality. The Japanese were willing themselves into a western way of life. I read futurism, at least in the late 20th century, as something very similar—there was a sense that things were heading in a particular direction, and there were people (artists included) who wanted to accelerate the process through role-playing via cultural production.

luka

In the 1870s, Japan decided to go all-in on the whole westernization thing. Apparently in a very, very short period of time, everyone was dressing in western clothes, listening to western music, putting up western-style buildings. But the thing is, very often these things were western-looking, but not actually western. For example, there was gyofu, "western-style" architecture, which was vaguely western-looking architecture made with traditional Japanese materials and construction techniques—because there were no western-trained architects/craftsman in Japan at the time. Japanese men would come home, change out of their western clothing (top hats etc.) and put on their traditional Japanese clothing for around the house.

What was the point of this? Why would so much of Japan choose to perform westernization even before things had technologically (ie. organically) shifted? Some of it was about signalling to other countries, presumably, that Japan had entered the modern world in a serious way... but I also think people will play a role as a way of willing an identity or situation into reality. The Japanese were willing themselves into a western way of life. I read futurism, at least in the late 20th century, as something very similar—there was a sense that things were heading in a particular direction, and there were people (artists included) who wanted to accelerate the process through role-playing via cultural production.

That is something that maps onto music in a very neat and suggestive way (obviously, that's why you wrote it) for example a lot of music is music outside the gravity well. Or it is music in which linear time has been superseded

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
yeah but im serious. say barty was one of those ravers who got off at end of 92. i doubt he'd come back to jungle. with that attitude he'd go back to house. i mean everything is possible but... Like isn't it an interesting thought experiment, snark aside? ultimately we'll never know but i think if we're gonna say 94 as a consummate form was better than 93 as an unstable, futuristic and freer form then its worth interrogating these splits, what about happy hardcore? there were plenty of the now tendancies that weren't darkside, that's what i don't get about barry's position.

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
don't for one second think this is finished today. brexit was our cue to shine and now look who blackdown is taking tips from.

Might even have to advocate remain now so that somehow another leo anibaldi or frank da wulf can penetrate the UK musical dna. well done barty, well done, this is all you're fault. luka, the master needs to chill, spank this naughty man.

sadmanbarty

I always knew Headie One would be the BBK of drill. the one to let all the wrong people in. luckily i did the drill funeral the other week so i'm not complicit in what happens next.

luka

I think it's a mistake to envision "the future" as progress, it's perfectly possible that we lose access to modern technology and regress to some sort of primitive society.

I recently read a profile on Gene Wolfe, the science-fiction writer, which made a point of discussing the fact that you can't always place where or when his stories are taking place. They could be in some sort of medieval past, or they could could be in some sort of future that's fallen back to that level:

"In one, he sees a dusty and faded picture he describes as “an armored figure standing in a desolate landscape. It had no weapon, but held a staff bearing a strange, stiff banner.” Careful readers will realize this as a photograph of the first moon landing, but to Severian it merely evokes a deep nostalgia... "

Doesn't apply to music on any level but the coceptual though does it? and we all agree the conceptual has no business being within arms length of music. It's too stupid

luka

But in terms of sitting in front of a computer right now it doesn't apply is what I was getting t

luka

Not sure I agree with that. As I sit here on my vidphone talking to people in places as far afield as S Amerhsam and Finchley.

sadmanbarty

the problem with this thread is that everyone's working off different definitions, so we're all just bickering to ourselves about different things.