Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Multiculturalism’s gone too far

the mechanism of street-level hybrids etc etc may not be working anymore in London, but it seems to have been working in Lisbon this past decade - the same postcolonial chickens coming home to roost phenomenon (first and second generation African immigrants mostly from Angola and Cape Verde), the same syndrome of rude energy coming out of the bairros to vitalize and warp house / techno templates

some of it sounds a bit like funky

2. The Following User Says Thank You to blissblogger For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    It's always the case. A scene is always a social circle
    In these little circles you get a fusing of similar tastes, a coalescing, and then it hits the mainstream and becomes diluted and diffused. Or it just never takes off all that much. (funky)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Corpsey For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    In these little circles you get a fusing of similar tastes, a coalescing, and then it hits the mainstream and becomes diluted and diffused. Or it just never takes off all that much. (funky)
    Interesting isn't it

One funny thing is Tottenham ruined grime and barty reckons it ruined drill too (headie one)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Fucking hell lads I just found out about new zealand and I tell you what im glad I went with my heart now and said what I think that I am bang in to the multiculturalism. How Fucking dark. How Fucking stupid and disgusting and ugly a thing to do

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Didnt want to post anything serious about it here. A refuge, for now.

Well I am a new zealand citizen and I lived there for a couple of years so its really hit me in the gut. I thought we were immune from that sort of depravity

Throw him down some pit for the rest of his life, despicable nonentity.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Corpsey For This Useful Post:

Fucking hell lads I just found out about new zealand and I tell you what im glad I went with my heart now and said what I think that I am bang in to the multiculturalism. How Fucking dark. How Fucking stupid and disgusting and ugly a thing to do
    Well yeah it's why i was a bit moody yesterday, don't worry we're all good but i did warn luka that whilst this thread was funny it could have gone a bit too far... a lesson to barry's inner 16-year-old. you're not gonna date ivancka trump like Quincy so don't try!

As for the innovation debate, i think we need to differentiate between a micro and a macro innovation. Drill was undoubtedly innovative in a 2010s context, but it skirted closer to a micro as opposed to a macro innovation. in fact maybe one could even say that jungle and acid house were the last real macro innovations. things that literally rewrote the vocabulary of music. don't want people to think I don't like drill, I do...
    Last edited by thirdform; 16-03-2019 at 03:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thirdform View Post
    this one is so obviously influenced by dmz misty winter even...

Uhm I mean that's not just influenced it's sampling that one Mala tune. Because it was done so elsewhere:

16. The Following User Says Thank You to CrowleyHead For This Useful Post:

I think Game was the first to sample it.

Yeah but that's irrelevant because nobody was trying to emulate Game in the 2010s. That's a "Tree falling in a forest with nobody to hear it" moment.

One funny thing is Tottenham ruined grime and barty reckons it ruined drill too (headie one)
    Abra Cadabra ruined drill long before Headie did. He didn't last at all but it was the clear tumor point where rot started to truly manifest.

Headie if anything extended it as a genre but likewise demonstrated there was a rapidly forming ceiling.

Either way it don't look good for Tottenham.

“It was Tottenham at home. I thought please don’t go on about Tottenham, we all know what Tottenham is about, they are nice and tidy but we’ll fucking do them. He came in and said: ‘Lads, it’s Tottenham’, and that was it. Brilliant.”

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to version For This Useful Post: