Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: Multiculturalismís gone too far

Of course in the time I was gone Dissensus has also become its own Vampire's Castle.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to zhao For This Useful Post:

so were jungle and grime.

That piece was an attack on all of the hardcore continuum, basically. back to post-punk and art pop. essentially that was the message for us. otherwise Paul Gilroy had a much, much more perceptive criticism of identity politics in the 2000s, something I am sure Mark (RIP) was aware of.

This is what happens when you trail the decrepit remains of the managerial left. You see this as a new political movement when it's really politics and careerism in its naked form. communism will put an end to all this chatter of autonomous rubbish of the political sphere. not only will it put an end to it, it will be a matter of complete indifference. the species will cognise itself like the body of christ or the annihilation in ana-al-haq. there will be noone to own or noone to demand autonomy from. including your cultural consumption goods.
    Last edited by thirdform; 24-04-2019 at 02:39 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to thirdform For This Useful Post:

It's like people wanna fit these sorts of diasporic and creole sounds into a world music continuum but it doesn't work. Like Nidia Minaj her self has been on record saying that her main inspiration for her take on the Lisbon Kuduro sound is David Guetta (not that i have a problem with that as her music doesn't really sound like DG though there is a huge influence there.) Fact is world music has always been the preserve of aesthetes, and I don't just mean the opulent world beat stuff, I mean the connoisseur field recordings on Ocora. Siavash Amini even made such a point in one of his rebuttals to a western commentator that they'd seen a computer and an Atari before they'd seen a tar, and this lad was born and grew up in Tehran. So the bad corporate overlords narritive is only a half truth, as me and Luke have always said.

It's like Lotic right, their whole brand is predicated on being the woke diagnoser of club cultures pathologies, owing far more to the frankly out of date M.I.A (in the UK) otherwise they do not (so far as i can parse) have an in depth integration in the techno culture - like collecting K Alexi and Jay Denham records - I could be wrong. And then they say their set comprised 99% black trans women whilst the highlight of it being Cardi B who has been on record making inadvertent transphobic comments. This idea that black and brown people can only be authentic and not pushing a brand if they're in the creative field is total Heideggerian rubbish.

*not to mention that dancehall was the black techno innovations in popular consciousness in the 2000s, not erykah badu or M.I.A*

But of course if this new generation of pseudo-communist commentariat seriously grappled with dancehall it would raise uncomfortable issues about the hip hop they are championing as this great inclusive multicultural space. Then you will get called out for using the word ghetto to refer to the aesthetic they repudiate because it's anti-black, apparently, even though they ignore that music!
    Last edited by thirdform; 24-04-2019 at 03:14 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to thirdform For This Useful Post:

man this thread would send technotwitter into an aneurism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey
    You might as well be ashamed of an erection

9. The Following User Says Thank You to thirdform For This Useful Post:

11. The Following User Says Thank You to other_life For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by other_life View Post
    and that's not saying much
    Understatement of the century. you saw it all happen. Aloiso made a joke and you literally had people piling on him for his black anarchism despite presenting themselves as the wokest of the woke. shameful.

Some serious 1960s 'I have black friends but' racism.

Kind of glad we made this thread happen now to mock those positions.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to thirdform For This Useful Post:

i couldn't even follow the entire thread.
    the precious self presentation of that entire set. everything has to be Aesthetically Impeccable. as aloiso said *the mixes every month.* everyone is a fucking 'artist' with a 'practice' or whatever.
    i don't remember where but spencer clark said he felt like it was easier for him to be a 'joiner', to get people together for freely improvised collaboration, somewhere like belgium because in the north american metropole, he said (necessarily paraphrasing) "everyone wants to have their own unique idea *downloaded* and present it as uniquely theirs".
    this was 5 or maybe even 10 years ago, though, and he's also not really talking about Techno. that has its own dynamics. i know this is the Multiculturalism thread also but feels relevant to 'techno twitter'.
    from the outside looking in, Artful Techno looks more like a monoculture than it does a multiculture.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to other_life For This Useful Post:

art techno in 2019 is definitely a monoculture. even when there are black women or trans, or black men of colour the aim is more recycling ideas to prop up white hierarchies rather than fostering community. bizarrely the far more monomusical climbs of gabba and drum and bass despite being co-opted by mixmag are still not as much about an enormous social media presence. you of course can't do without it but most young white techno djs are booked on the strength of their facile politics and platforms, not whether they have a definite aesthetic or a vision, just anything that sounds a bit nice and a bit floaty and a bit banging. double points if you can advertise your queerness because that's the new white guilt for straight people.

Maybe I'm romanticising it but what barty might have called monoculture wrt post-punk seemed far more open to actual dialogue with poc, a genuine appreciation of our/their music. there isn't really an appreciation for anything in techno now.
    Last edited by thirdform; 15-05-2019 at 10:36 AM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to thirdform For This Useful Post:

WRONG THREAD!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Corpsey For This Useful Post: