sadmanbarty

i was thinking "it's raining so luke won't be at work, i better put something on dissensus for him to get his teeth into".

luka

We all know you're a genius musician and that you don't know what music to make. We all know you are going to save us by inventing the new genre. These are pressing questions for you. We have faith that you will find the answers

luka

But let's posit an imaginary white musician,from multicultural London, let's say around 24, name of Biff MacIntyre

luka

Grew up with garage, jungle, rap, dancehall. Has an unquenchable and profound talent, but what does he do with it in this situation? Good question.

luka

In 94, or 99, or even in 2001 there would be a space for him, he'd release a tune with CKP, hear it on pirate radio, living the dream

sadmanbarty

if it's not clear my argument is this.

in the 70's you have distinct cultural pillars: hard rock, reggae, funk, the beginings of electronic music, etc.

though these things fused from time to time and had lineage and influence from outside cultures, they were (relative to todays standards) seperate cultural entities produced by and for relatively narrow ethnic, class, geographic, etc. sets of people.

a lot of innovation happened when these things intersected (what i'm referring to as multiculturalism). i feel love, post-punk, jungle, jazz fusion, electro rap, etc.

so for decades this multiculturalism- this blending of different sensibilities- has been good for innovation. i'm saying we've now reached the point where different, distinct socio-economic groups need to go back into themselves and produce new sonic pillars for a decade or so, which we can then spend the next three decades fusing.

luka

For whatever reasons, and regardless of its merits, asian music is not part of a shared London culture. So attempts to tack it on (sitar on top of a drum and bass beat, whatever) feel forced, conceptual, artificial

And this is what thirdform said a long time ago, when he was the new kid, what we've had, musically, is not really multiculturalism. Not even in a food court, chow mein, chicken korma, beef patty, moussaka way. And you do have these more or less insular scenes based around distinct ethnic cultural identities, that are ignored by the rest of us, notwithstanding the inttermittent worthy attempts of white men to 'get into bangrha' or whatever

luka

You had a triangulation of dance-rap-reggae.
That was pretty much it. That was the basis of the coalition.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Again I ask why is that - is Asian music just too alien to our white ears to be accepted?

Reggae, after all, was an evolution of rock.

I've a Greek friend at work who has played me some of his favourite Greek songs and I'm not even going to say it's awful it's just so foreign to my conception of good taste that I can't stand it.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The instruments they use disgust me

But to a Grecian's ears it must be like the tambor is to me

Perfection

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Certain instruments just have no cachet in our culture e.g. the accordion

And yet there's a whole world of Baltic techno that uses accordians. It sounds awful to me, dunno why.

It's hard to fathom that there's millions of people out there who like "electro swing".