blissblogger

the mechanism of street-level hybrids etc etc may not be working anymore in London, but it seems to have been working in Lisbon this past decade - the same postcolonial chickens coming home to roost phenomenon (first and second generation African immigrants mostly from Angola and Cape Verde), the same syndrome of rude energy coming out of the bairros to vitalize and warp house / techno templates

some of it sounds a bit like funky

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
It's always the case. A scene is always a social circle

In these little circles you get a fusing of similar tastes, a coalescing, and then it hits the mainstream and becomes diluted and diffused. Or it just never takes off all that much. (funky)

luka

In these little circles you get a fusing of similar tastes, a coalescing, and then it hits the mainstream and becomes diluted and diffused. Or it just never takes off all that much. (funky)

Interesting isn't it

luka

One funny thing is Tottenham ruined grime and barty reckons it ruined drill too (headie one)

luka

Fucking hell lads I just found out about new zealand and I tell you what im glad I went with my heart now and said what I think that I am bang in to the multiculturalism. How Fucking dark. How Fucking stupid and disgusting and ugly a thing to do

luka

Well I am a new zealand citizen and I lived there for a couple of years so its really hit me in the gut. I thought we were immune from that sort of depravity

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Fucking hell lads I just found out about new zealand and I tell you what im glad I went with my heart now and said what I think that I am bang in to the multiculturalism. How Fucking dark. How Fucking stupid and disgusting and ugly a thing to do

Well yeah it's why i was a bit moody yesterday, don't worry we're all good but i did warn luka that whilst this thread was funny it could have gone a bit too far... a lesson to barry's inner 16-year-old. you're not gonna date ivancka trump like Quincy so don't try!

As for the innovation debate, i think we need to differentiate between a micro and a macro innovation. Drill was undoubtedly innovative in a 2010s context, but it skirted closer to a micro as opposed to a macro innovation. in fact maybe one could even say that jungle and acid house were the last real macro innovations. things that literally rewrote the vocabulary of music. don't want people to think I don't like drill, I do...

Last edited:

CrowleyHead

this one is so obviously influenced by dmz misty winter even...

Uhm I mean that's not just influenced it's sampling that one Mala tune. Because it was done so elsewhere:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wJGcwEv7838" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pz8Kp_yELg0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

CrowleyHead

Yeah but that's irrelevant because nobody was trying to emulate Game in the 2010s. That's a "Tree falling in a forest with nobody to hear it" moment.

CrowleyHead

One funny thing is Tottenham ruined grime and barty reckons it ruined drill too (headie one)

Abra Cadabra ruined drill long before Headie did. He didn't last at all but it was the clear tumor point where rot started to truly manifest.

Headie if anything extended it as a genre but likewise demonstrated there was a rapidly forming ceiling.

version

“It was Tottenham at home. I thought please don’t go on about Tottenham, we all know what Tottenham is about, they are nice and tidy but we’ll fucking do them. He came in and said: ‘Lads, it’s Tottenham’, and that was it. Brilliant.”

sadmanbarty

coming back on the bus now, there was a bloke who spoke just like headio one and i thought it can't be a coincidence that these genre's are killed by people who can't rap. there's something inherent in the can't-rapiness that does it. either it's about them compensating for inability to rap via marketing or "being cleaver" or there's something accessible to students about someone not rapping well. might literally be the thing of them not talking so quick, gives people time to understand.

CrowleyHead

Trilliam's like the biggest Headie fan, and I'm sure he'll tell you lot off if he ever gets a day off from his real life job.

I'm at a limit of my power. I can point to plenty of culprits but it's like, I'm too invested, I can tell apart too much minuta. It's like with me and trap back in the day I understood far too many minor details that nobody else fucking cares about. It's like playing Luka Smiths songs and saying "Oh but 'Death of a Disco Dancer' is so much better than 'The Boy With A Thorn In His Side'", it's all the same shit to him.

luka

Don't worry paradinas they were saying nice things about you. It was kode 9 getting slagged off, poor guy.

sadmanbarty

me and trilliams both use our sexuality as a vehicle for social mobility. i use mine to be accepted by people below me on the socio-economic ladder whereas trill uses his to ascend upwards.

that explains our diverging views on headie one.

luka

me and trilliams both use our sexuality as a vehicle for social mobility. i use mine to be accepted by people below me on the socio-economic ladder whereas trill uses his to ascend upwards.

that explains our diverging views on headie one.

Both good looking lads. When we took Trill to Wetherspoons he was talking about his new posh girlfriend from west London.

sadmanbarty

for what it's worth i don't actually think headie one is the culprit. he was trying to be, but wasn't successful enough to do so.

corbyn's 'man's not hot' may have in the long run killed it. led to drillminister and all that. let the students in.

i love russ, but gun lean might've killed it. there's nothing wrong with chart success, but to do so in such a tongue in cheek way memified it, which also lets the students in.

unknown t though is the real enemy.