Thread: Multiculturalismís gone too far

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Multiculturalismís gone too far

It is now a hinderence to innovative new music.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sadmanbarty For This Useful Post:

Everyone looking at that gingerly like it's an unexploded bomb and keeping well away

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

agreed. It can only be innovative music for goldsmiths students who want to cling onto the dwindling aristocratic lines they have leftover from the 19th and 20th c. now it's time to create the unitary, invariant and monolithic world culture which will put an end to all kinds of existential angsty chatter and deplorable indie aesthetics. if we have multiculture we have to accept indie rock, emo rock, pop punk, maher zane, zain malik, nasheeds, sami yusuf, Brian Eno. death to multiculturalism, death to britain, death to farage!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thirdform For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by thirdform View Post
    agreed. It can only be innovative music for goldsmiths students who want to cling onto the dwindling aristocratic lines they have leftover from the 19th and 20th c. now it's time to create the unitary, invariant and monolithic world culture
    Iím actually arguing the opposite.

Dancehall, afrobeats, afroswing, Ďtropicalí pop and even bits of rap all sound the same. It is this homogenised global music. I was in Greece when I first heard dua lipa and other similar pop and thought it was some Greek edm, it bore no distinct cultural identity.

Iím arguing for everyone to retreat back into their isolated cultural foxholes and create their own distinctive aesthetics again. Only them can they be blended and fused once.

The most innovative music of the 2010ís was also the most inwardly focussed culturally. That wasnít the case in previous decades.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sadmanbarty For This Useful Post:

yeh only one problem with that. english monoculture would be gatecrasher trance.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thirdform For This Useful Post:

i mean the thing is trance is bigger than afroswing, it's bigger than dancehall, it's bigger than even jump up drum and bass, the english and dutch east India companies have been triumphant. Why are you trying to push a tendancy to victory when its already succeeded?

Quote Originally Posted by sadmanbarty View Post

Dancehall, afrobeats, afroswing, Ďtropicalí pop and even bits of rap all sound the same. It is this homogenised global music. I was in Greece when I first heard dua lipa and other similar pop and thought it was some Greek edm, it bore no distinct cultural identity.

Iím arguing for everyone to retreat back into their isolated cultural foxholes and create their own distinctive aesthetics again. Only them can they be blended and fused once.

The most innovative music of the 2010ís was also the most inwardly focussed culturally. That wasnít the case in previous decades.
    But thats not multiculturalism, its a uniform aesthetic based on capitalist assimilation and regurgitation of local culture as commodity.

This is a good illustration of the tend you describe actually. An incredible amount of Western influenced pop on global stations. I always end up back in West Africa.

http://radio.garden

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to droid For This Useful Post:

"The trick with JD is to wait patiently until LIGHTNING strikes...his mixes are more like mood sculptures anyway."

That's british culture to a t. who wants to listen to mood sculptures in the club?

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    But thats not multiculturalism, its a uniform aesthetic based on capitalist assimilation and regurgitation of local culture as commodity.
    ]
    Don't often say this but think droid is making an important point here.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

I think you'll have to wait till god topples this iteration of the tower of babel for that to happen. Or go native with an uncontacted amazon tribe cos failing that there are no isolated cultural foxholes. Everyone lives exactly the same life except maybe its jollof rice once a week in this household, biriyani in that. The homogenisation of experience is total.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Thirdform is such a romantic he wants to pretend that only the English have been stripped of a culture, as if everywhere else its hearty peasant stews and folk song round the campfire, wild gypsy dances till dawn.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    I think you'll have to wait till god topples this iteration of the tower of babel for that to happen. Or go native with an uncontacted amazon tribe cos failing that there are no isolated cultural foxholes. Everyone lives exactly the same life except maybe its jollof rice once a week in this household, biriyani in that. The homogenisation of experience is total.
    i was speaking relatively. drill's more monocultural than jungle and garage.

mumble rap more so than timbaland-era rap.

drill and mumble rap are more innovative than contemporary music that's more multi-cultural.

white people only make black music now where they'd be better off trying to make sonically articulate whiteness in a way that's never been done before.

I’m actually arguing the opposite.

Dancehall, afrobeats, afroswing, ‘tropical’ pop and even bits of rap all sound the same. It is this homogenised global music. I was in Greece when I first heard dua lipa and other similar pop and thought it was some Greek edm, it bore no distinct cultural identity.

I’m arguing for everyone to retreat back into their isolated cultural foxholes and create their own distinctive aesthetics again. Only them can they be blended and fused once.

The most innovative music of the 2010’s was also the most inwardly focussed culturally. That wasn’t the case in previous decades.
    Afrobeats is monocultural (not entirely given the different countries involved, but for the sake of argument) whereas drill isn't. Drill is a meeting place for two communities who have had a traditionally antagonistic relationship. Albeit they're coming together to literally kill each other rather than to party.
    Last edited by luka; 14-03-2019 at 09:42 PM.