CrowleyHead

The Hitchcockian impulse I would not instinctively classify as right (or left) wing. There can be something sadistic in it, potentially but you can use the same understanding of, and toying with,structure and expectations to draw attention to these things, to highlight them, and thereby bring the unknown, the unconscious, into consciousness. To point out the ways in which music has conditioned us in the Palovian sense.

I didn't mean to imply that alone was solely in the right wing because servicing the people in bland platitudes is as right wing as anything no? "I'm just saying what everyone wants to say but doesn't have the guts!" etc.

luka

in fact mills record box hardly changed from 95-2000. It's not that he just played anthems, it's literally that he had a puzzle style of djing. in a very real sense he was the actual deconstructed club because every set would be a variation on the same, and yet through chance and variation create different. which in a way is like electric miles live recordings, albeit in this context we're talking in an extremely reduced form...

Post a Mills set. I usually find that abrasive relentless techno exhausting over sustained periods but I'll give it a go when I'm feeling match fit.

CrowleyHead

Bangers and anthema creates the atmosphere of the 'lowest common denominator' and patronization. Yet more often than not the educative DJ comes off as someone spoon-feeding the invalids. "Without me, they'd probably be eating their own feces and wallowing in the Skrillex records again, ho ho ho."

luka

I didn't mean to imply that alone was solely in the right wing because servicing the people in bland platitudes is as right wing as anything no? "I'm just saying what everyone wants to say but doesn't have the guts!" etc.

Well this is it isn't it. I don't want to say wedding reception DJs are the only permissable variant. That alone is conservative. Tabloid newspapers. Tits and football.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Bangers and anthema creates the atmosphere of the 'lowest common denominator' and patronization. Yet more often than not the educative DJ comes off as someone spoon-feeding the invalids. "Without me, they'd probably be eating their own feces and wallowing in the Skrillex records again, ho ho ho."

and of course the irony being that the skrillex records are more innovative than the records they choose because that educative dynamic within a specific expectation of djing with a specific set of standards mean they opt for inhibited records. this is what happened with dubstep, their anti-skrillex reaction meant they had to disown wobble and not tap into its real innovations.

luka

There's a nostalgia for the old paternalism because it's notion of the human, of what a human can and should be, is more dignified and optimistic, not withstanding the patronisation, than the tits and football model.

CrowleyHead

blissblogger was right to say "There's probably more in this direction than the alternatives". Even then you'd see people try to steer him to vaguely acceptable wobble-types like Raffertie or Starkey. Producers who I like but were rightly ignored compared to the rush of the dubstep so many of us are repulsed by.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
perhaps we could say that the dj is the perfect democratic representative. in that whether he is educating or pleasing the crowd, they are conforming to a certain value set. they are not a utility or bits and bytes of data.

Which contradicts with pirate radio djs prior to the criminal justice act. they are not genre eclectists, but hneither are they striving for excellence.

It seems impossible in dance music in dj culture to buck the trend of striving for excellence. how is that trend bucked? blissblogger we're doing all the work for you here mate, stop pumping the surplus value out of us!

Last edited:

luka

Sure, but your right wing abomination has maxed out. you wouldn't be in this thread if it still had vitality. we're doing the autopsy here. settle down.

Lads please acknowledge that corpses soul is not lost, he is a team player and operates in good faith. He wants to learn stuff and overcome his cultural conditioning to become a hyperborean. Please support him in those endevours using positive reinforcement. I wouldn't want more than one of him but I wouldn't want more than one of you little shits either. I am a supporter of corpsey. We need the best corpsey. Don't let him fall into the hands of the enemy.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
this is true. he needs to be a bit more zidain though. liquid in his pose. slick passes. liquid. smooth. flowing. watery. Don't try the Thierry Henry. french people don't make for good romantics. that's me, I'm a terrible romantic. lord knows how I was ever born to Turkish parents.

Sit down with a nargile pipe, feet up, raki in the right hand, pack of camel cigarettes to your left. wack on the cheb khaled and contemplate this thread. then after some deliberation like the wisened old village elder you will reduce us to tears with your eloquent and prophetic pronouncements.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Wedding djs are the best. Nobody wants to hear your obscure Detroit b side m8 stick on earth wind and fire I'm tying my trousers round my head

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Wedding djs are the best. Nobody wants to hear your obscure Detroit b side m8 stick on earth wind and fire I'm tying my trousers round my head

Well, if I'm 45 then you must be 65 according to that metric. again Ayatollah bahti is shirking his duties here, but don't wedding djs play david guetta ft kelly roland these days?

luka

Ayatollah Bahti is with his inner person. He needs time after his last thread caused a mass shooting. He's reorienting himself in the light of faith. He will be back soon, girded, stronger, more beautiful, his light purified and perfect.

luka

Where he looks like hes gone round his mum's for Sunday roast after a bad night on the lagers and pub gak, pale and trembling, the stage lights glaring off a cold sweat sheen

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I like Joe but I think since that talk was published his theory has been kind of negated somewhat. now people are histrionically woke (using all kinds of radical phraseology for 'clout' as they like to say) and everyone is laying claim to their own idea of feminism, of class, of queerness or of blackness. club culture is full of the most wannabe try hard confrontations and cancellations amongst middle class wonks. this isn't hacienda level shit by any stretch of the imagination, these guys would urinate and defecate if they were in even a london club in 2005. form 696 triumphed, but not in the ways some people think.

you can't even talk about black, gay or feminist nights, any claims to such a descriptor are just aesthetic or branding. they don't signify any kind of community cohesion. identity politics one, collective politics lost. and thats why people are now dancing in gentrifier hotspots (not even gentrified clubs but trendy japanese restaurants and trendy bars and the like...) the new generation of djs let the government clamp down. they made their political ontology predicated on them being a DJ - it's hard to explain crowley knows what I mean.

See also the fetish for bandcamp over spotify and youtube. just petty-bourgeois shit. when really we need to do is take the productive potential of youtube, all that accumulated data, and abolish it as an enterprise. but try telling that to djs.

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I'm guilty of this, quite like Bandcamp and tend to buy stuff from artist pages rather than places like Boomkat. The main draw for me is that you get WAVs for the same price as 320s.

er, that's not what im saying? I'm saying that considering the global amount of music, youtube and spotify have (or at least had) far more than bandcamp. painting youtube as bad giant as opposed to bandcamp as good giant is a middle class perspective. it's the preference for one business model over another, not the abolition of the business model. otherwise i prefer to buy from bandcamp as well...

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
dance music world just needs to admit that everyone pirates now, including their favourite djs. until they don't they're complicit in perpetuating this shit self-righteousness. we all know everyone pirates, it's not a secret anymore. there's no point discussing the ethics of it either. everyone does it. that time is long passed. and from a communist pov this is at least a good thing, it's just hat we're doing it under a system that forces creatives to starve. this is my problem with djs as politicians. worse than hideous.