luka

Dizsensus is literally just my brain exteriorised and you are it's squabbling components. I cant be pitted against anyone, even Mr Tea is part of me.

luka

This was 'cos the graf by the Chrome Angels, it was a meeting point for writhers, plus there were guys breaking for the tourist dollar. In front of the opera house. Can't figure out how to turn this into a link: https://www.google.com/search?q=chr...AUIDigB&biw=1858&bih=789#imgrc=6-sMSHRzteMnMM:

Yes, I remember it. Barty might interested to learn that as a little boy I loved to watch the breakers dance and listen to their electro. Also I think there was important club nights at the Africa Centre?

DannyL

Wild Horses
Yeah, Soul II Soul were at the Africa Centre. I was too young to go though. Their shop in Camden seemed like a strange new world to me.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I think the only thing that you're missing so far is that Ilford and Romford fucking suck. It all gets pretty awful past about Plaistow. i talk as a former habitué.

luka

Drax has an instagram account where hes always talking about those days and the centrality of the wrst end club scene. The centre vs the periphery is a very important London dynamic actually. We need to talk about this

luka

I think the only thing that you're missing so far is that Ilford and Romford fucking suck. It all gets pretty awful past about Plaistow. i talk as a former habitué.

Yeah sort of but suburban base alone counterbalances a lot

DannyL

Wild Horses
He's been tagging around where I live recently (including on the back of the door of the lift in the big storage locker) so presumably he lives round there. He must be in his early 50s now? Seems a bit sad to me, to have never given up the ghost with something like that. Ghosts of your adolescence still riding you. Mind you, I never gave myself 100% to anything in the way that he must've done for those few years.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Yeah sort of but suburban base alone counterbalances a lot

Ha! Centre vs peripheral is an interesting one actually. Ties in with the multiculturalism thread. Black guys coming down from Forest Gate and fighting with white guys due to taking their women at the Rom skating rink.

luka

You had music power in Ilford, Boogie Times in Romford,so this is a central market for buyers and producers. By the time you get to garage days the nightclubs there have become very important nodes on the circuit. Incubators of talent. places for second and third tier djs to make a name for themselves.

luka

He's been tagging around where I live recently (including on the back of the door of the lift in the big storage locker) so presumably he lives round there. He must be in his early 50s now? Seems a bit sad to me, to have never given up the ghost with something like that. Ghosts of your adolescence still riding you. Mind you, I never gave myself 100% to anything in the way that he must've done for those few years.

But it also gives you a global network. He can go anywhere in the world, and does, and have people to show him round and take him out.

luka

Ha! Centre vs peripheral is an interesting one actually. Ties in with the multiculturalism thread. Black guys coming down from Forest Gate and fighting with white guys due to taking their women at the Rom skating rink.

Always remember on the 86 bus in grime days one lad saying to another "Romford, land of skets and eats"

DannyL

Wild Horses
Jifs in Chadwell Heath and another one whose name I've forgotten out in Upminster were both early soul boy/jazz funk outlets. Records only, not caught up with production, but weird to remember a time when just possession of a cultural product carried exclusivity. I remember when a mate turned up at mine with an Aleem 12", I was so impressed.

DannyL

Wild Horses
But it also gives you a global network. He can go anywhere in the world, and does, and have people to show him round and take him out.

Yes, I guess so. Was reading an interview with She One from Brighton (was reminded of him 'cos Req has just put some tapes out) and he was saying similar, how graf has given him a globetrotting career.

My antipathy is probably tied up with my own ambivalent feelings out my teenage years. I've been trying to escape the scene of the crime ever since it happened.

luka

Essex and Hertfordshire have both made their mark. Reynolds loves going on about the Hertfordshire connection cos its where hes from. Moving shadow. Rob Playford. Omni Trio.

luka

Were you writing Danny? I never knew that. I'll find Dtax's insta for you. There's some classic 90s pics pf PFB he keeps wheeling out

luka

You had music power in Ilford, Boogie Times in Romford,so this is a central market for buyers and producers. By the time you get to garage days the nightclubs there have become very important nodes on the circuit. Incubators of talent. places for second and third tier djs to make a name for themselves.

And we're talking even Gants Hill here. Essex had the venues.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Were you writing Danny? I never knew that. I'll find Dtax's insta for you. There's some classic 90s pics pf PFB he keeps wheeling out

Yeah, I was. Got nicked in Loughton Yard, and in Barking, a couple of days apart. My Mum went fucking mental. Most of the hardcore graffers I knew had folks who were fundametally disinterested and uninvolved. I have to keep my tag secret though 'cos it was so lame.