WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Define valueless

How can anyone actualise or recreate living in previous decades when lp’s, for better or worse, defined 40 years of the 20th century and the listening experience of millions? Valueless as art? Tough crowd, i don't agree. Valueless as £? Corporately created for markets? Overrated? All hold as both true and false, a paradox

I‘ve far more 45rpm singles, 12”s and ep’s than lp’s, yet the foundations rest on a range of lp’s from immediately obvious to obscure. Woops has made 4 ffs, why would you commit to the format if it didn’t hold value as a physical archive, sequenced for moods, pacing, transitions, or if i didn't work cohesively? And therein lies the Achilles heel of any lp - botox filler. Compilation lp's count?

We all distill lp’s (or take picks that others picked up on), or even tangentially via prehistoric pre-release 12”s to give you a heads up of an impending opportunity. I half miss sharing lp’s with mates who aided fiendish fervour but they do seem an archaic format in terms of physically placing a slab on a platter and immersing, rather than distracting, your being. Add riding bikes, in the car, at work. Incongruities too, like playing Lil Louis on an island in a Scottish loch at 7am on a Sunday morning tripping my mind inside out

Not a lot of time is my own and being subsumed in sound is my favourite art form of all - lp’s play their part in a broader mosaic and the fact is you have to actually listen to them to dislike them in the 1st place

Reactions: Leo

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
It was fun on here when people would advance 'terrible'/provocative opinions just to see what happened next

The opposite of my approach, which is to apologise for everything I've said and not said so nobody can possibly nail me down/to a cross (thirdform)