luka

You’re acting as though this entire thread is not entirely about me seeking attention from droid.

Tickle him more. He's still wary and standoffish, I can sense it. Sometimes we have to direct the full spotlight of our affection onto a particular individual.

sadmanbarty

Probably important to note in general, if I’m ever offended don’t anyones sensibilities on here, it’s because I’m looking for their attention, approval and love.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
That’s the thing. I always do it out if convenience (I don’t have to interrupt what I’m doing every 3 minutes to change track) so I’m well versed in how shit they are.

They’re far easier to defend in abstract terms than in reality. Hence people using the word “obvious” while not providing examples.

Take 'Blue' by Joni Mitchell. It's all of a piece, it was recorded in a short time, it's all variations on the same mood and theme, it conveniently collects a lot of her best material.

1. "All I Want" 3:32
2. "My Old Man" 3:33
3. "Little Green" 3:25
4. "Carey" 3:00
5. "Blue" 3:00
Side two
No. Title Length
6. "California" 3:48
7. "This Flight Tonight" 2:50
8. "River" 4:00
9. "A Case of You" 4:20
10. "The Last Time I Saw Richard"

luka

Take 'Blue' by Joni Mitchell. It's all of a piece, it was recorded in a short time, it's all variations on the same mood and theme, it conveniently collects a lot of her best material.

1. "All I Want" 3:32
2. "My Old Man" 3:33
3. "Little Green" 3:25
4. "Carey" 3:00
5. "Blue" 3:00
Side two
No. Title Length
6. "California" 3:48
7. "This Flight Tonight" 2:50
8. "River" 4:00
9. "A Case of You" 4:20
10. "The Last Time I Saw Richard"

Perfect example.

sadmanbarty

it's a little difficult to talk about something so resoundingly offensive to my own sensibilities, how much of this is informed by sonics and how much by the lyrics and abstract idea of the album? pr companies and critics have presumably created a narrative surrounding the album, is your enjoyment genuinely reflected in the music or have you superimposed it afterwards?

it doesn't really sound like it occupies a unified sound world, even within the first two tracks. some of it's a bit world musicy and some of it's full on simon cowell circa-2003.

sadmanbarty

also isn't it a bit too much to take in one sitting?

that first track has far more intrigue and potency than the rest of the album. the album is a hindrance and muddies any merit the first track has

sadmanbarty

poor bastard, i've been subjected to joni mitchell and david bowie all at once. i don't know if i'll be able to stomach too much more.

luka

it's a little difficult to talk about something so resoundingly offensive to my own sensibilities, how much of this is informed by sonics and how much by the lyrics and abstract idea of the album? pr companies and critics have presumably created a narrative surrounding the album, is your enjoyment genuinely reflected in the music or have you superimposed it afterwards?

it doesn't really sound like it occupies a unified sound world, even within the first two tracks. some of it's a bit world musicy and some of it's full on simon cowell circa-2003.

Wtf are you claiming to have just sat through the entirety of Blue? You're going to listen to every album ever made just to say they're rubbish and therefore, scientifically, your thesis stands, an atomic fact? :crylarf:

sadmanbarty

speed of life is infinitely more than low as a whole. it aspires and speaks to something far greater. by the second track you're dragged down to horrible, ironic music. it spits in the face of speed of life.

listen to it again and you'll learn that the only two tracks you like on it are speed of life and sound and vision. the rest is at best disposable.

sadmanbarty

Wtf are you claiming to have just sat through the entirety of Blue? You're going to listen to every album ever made just to say they're rubbish and therefore, scientifically, your thesis stands, an atomic fact? :crylarf:

am i wrong about it?

luka

When I was going through my phase of listening to canonical albums to make sure they were as bad as I had assumed blue was one of the only ones I fell for. Revolver, rubbish, pet sounds, rubbish, Bowie, rubbish, the clash, rubbish, blue, lovely. There is not a chance in hell that I could get you to like it thOughIf you don't like the voice and the songs on first hearing it's not going to grow on you. You either fall in love or you don't.

luka

I thought you were going to explain the fundamental, essential thing that means albums can't fulfil their own ambitions though? Explain it to us. We don't get it. We like albums. We grew up before mp3s were invented. You've just spent £15 on that album so you're going to listen to it till you like it.