rolling bandcamp recommendations

luka

im sure it's right but economics make previous modes of distribution non-viable. you can mourn the loss but you can't return to the past.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
It's also a good point about (arguably) needing curators in some form or another – whether that's DJs, record stores or critics

Maybe in the modern era the ppl who compile spotify/apple music playlists are the curatorial kings – or maybe tiktok has changed that too?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
i have just started using it really, buying some stuff i hear on NTS etc. Don't really understand how to use it/find stuff, although I did recently realise you can look at other people's collections which seems fun...

Anyway looks like it's being fucked over (a bit like Twitter) sooo

version

Anyway looks like it's being fucked over (a bit like Twitter) sooo

People been fearing this with that film company, A24, too. Some equity firm bought a stake in them and now they've announced a pivot to more commercial stuff.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Is it getting worse for the actual musicians yet, or just for the people that work there? Not that that's great either, obviously...

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
I would like to propose a new simile for discussing software/hardware/web platforms: “tilled into the soil”.

If you have a field you want to grow valuable crops on, but the soil is too poor, a way to fix this is to spend the first few years growing a less valuable but hardier crop. Eventually, when the soil is good enough, you take your plough to the field and till the old plants into the soil, where they act as fertilizer for the new crop you then sow.

The obvious simile: this is what happens to users and small content producers once a platform matures