Vatican Shadow, Rainforest Spiritual Enslavement

version

I'm still on the fence about some of this stuff, the awkward exoticist undertones in particular don't come across well, but it has something. I love this one...

Last edited:

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
Muslimgauze pt II but so. much. EDGIER.

At least for all the problems w/Muslimgauze, dude had fervent sincerity

Big look starting like 8 threads in a row btw, wish I had more time to get in some of the discussions here these days

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Weird, I was thinking about VS for the first time in months last night because that article about small-town white kids running off to Syria to join jihadi brigades reminded me of this tune:

which I really dig. 'Cairo...' is a great pick too - I think they're adjacent tracks on the same EP.

I like a lot of the music but agree that it's all a bit teenage-edgelord. AFAIK he has no personal emotional investment in supporting Hamas or whatever like MG did.

Numbers

I'm still on the fence about some of this stuff, the awkward exoticist undertones in particular don't come across well, but it has something

I like the RSE-stuff he puts out. I never cared too much about what you call the exoticist undertones. But I always imagined it to be more of post-colonial critique/irony, rather than an earnest belief in tribal magic. A bit like his military-toned titles are not a simple exaltation of all things war. (It might have to do with the fact that I started listening to this stuff in the period I saw the Embrace of the serpent and both somehow clicked together in my head.)

Numbers

It's not bad. But to call it good would proabably be a stretch. There are some interesting wf-moments :)

Numbers

If I recall correctly, two western botanists try to find a plant, guided by a local shaman Presumably a metaphor for the (mis)adventures of the white male/scientific/colonial gaze in Amazonia.

jorge

this is the only one thats stood out for me,

my mate often plays it at the beginning of his clubnight as its filling up, get the smoke machine on in time with the subbass, magic