"(Post-)Hardcore Continuum & UK Music Writing"

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
One thing that's just popped into my head about the drill stuff is, does it have any relationship with radio? Are they playing drill on the pirates that are still going?

no. soca and bashment, ghanaian and turkish stuff, + yer regular housengarage, drum and bass, oldskool etc.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
re: 'nuum - I think we may actually be seeing what Barty said needed to happen in the multiculturalism thread in that people seem to be clustered in small groups, focusing on a particular sound and things aren't as broad as they were a few years ago.

I feel like if you stick the radio on now, you're much more likely to hear a whole set of grime or house or whatever than you were from say '09 to '12 and there doesn't seem to be the same crossover between scenes. It feels like grime's very much separate from the jungle/dnb stuff and they're both very much separate from the house and techno crowd, you might get the odd classic thrown in at the end of a slightly looser house set, but they're not actively engaging with each other as far as I can tell.

I guess the key is whether those little clusters are pushing things forward in some way, or simply turning into echo chambers where people have their nostalgia and conservatism reinforced.

new jungle is definitely a nostalgic thing. I'm happy to admit that. some grime beats from boilan etc can be interesting. not really many good mcs though. Spooky is still a good dj when he's not trying to play shite from Hitman. Would still much rather an instrumentals/140 set from Slimzee than any deconstructed club. that's no contention he can still be tekkers.

funky has pretty much become another subset of house now. whatever. I like house but brits are not great at house, the americans always did it way better.

the real experimental algorithmic stuff is like experimental rock now. so geographically diffuse it can't even be called a UK or US scene.

Some new bassline from murlo and em guys is alright.

Actually this is my problem I always gravitated more to jungle than i did grime and it's just not moving forward in any substantial way. people are still using the same breaks and the same samples. you can do more with jungles template than you can do with grimes rhythmically but that isn't really happening, the sort of semi-junglistic footwork was a step forward but then that ended up really folding into itself.

Industrial techno as well has become very continentalised and a lot of it has a trance chug. this wasn't the case between 2009-14.

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I dunno that all of it is. The stuff on A14, Samurai etc feels pretty fresh to me, although I guess you could argue over whether it's jungle or dnb and some of it sounds a bit like Photek.

My problem with the samurai axis is presha was so adamant to align his stuff with berlin techno rather than the sort of techno more directly influenced by the nuum, more ostgut than si begg or neil landstrumm. a lot of it can just sound like minimal 2001. which is ok but two hours of it is a bit too much.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
With Samurai, I think they work better when taken alongside stuff like Rupture, A14 and UVB-76 so there's a little more variation. They're all quite moody and Berlin-influenced to varying degrees, but you've got stuff like the much more UK-sounding throwback stuff with updated production that Forest Drive West does alongside it.

this is why i like people like dj trax playing the good new stuff off alphacut and rupture etc.

I used to go to rupture back in the day. they were great nights, the moodiness really does work over a big system.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I was in industrial/hard acid techno at the time. im inadvertently patriotic about british music (yeah kill me comrades) but not that much. how far can the rude idea go. dancehall dead. rnb autotune is the hegemony. gangsta rap dead. reggae abscent from UK youth dna. drill, as much as some of the beats have a subtle jungle/grime influence is ultimately more rap than dance music. soca and afroswing are the in thing and they have a much different masculine/feminin dialectic. the nuum as a forward tilted movement was over in 2007. A lot of this sounds like Blackdown who i still rate and respect. except half of the labels he plays are like from Australia or the states or South African gqom or whatever.

As for brostep it was more white metal kids than inner city london really, with some exceptions from the grime boys. not a value judgment just how it is. it was a different type of proletarian culture to ours really. ours was cleansed out of existence. this is why i find the sonics not necessarily always the best way to analyse this. plenty of petty-bourgeois revivalists can make rude ragga tunes with cheesy gyal vocs, and im not against that (i couldn't be im not pure prole, whatever that is supposed to mean) at all, but facts is facts.

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
like i said, i hate how the hardcore continuum has become an undergrad dissertation for white peoples race studies degrees. I don't blame bliss for this necessarily but I do his followers.

As for Muggs and post-dubstep I like quite a lot of what Joe is into and he's a sound guy to talk about music with though he also seems to have a more balearic/indie continuum thing which is just another world to me, I have different influences and that, I haven't really listened to many andy weatherall sets or whatever. I still have no idea who Primal Scream are. which is fine. actually that is probably a significant amount of post-dubstep people, that indie dance/balearic continuum has always existed in UK dance music and it tends to cut across both hardcore and techno continuums (generally though not exclusively amongst white people...)

The closest i ever got to that was happy hardcore so more uk guttertrash like ourselves trying to live our minnie ibiza.

Trance almost works like a 'control case' for ardkore, doesn't it? It's got the same dancefloor-centric functionalism but one way or another didn't end up with the novelty-drive that powered the evolution of ardkore, so it's evolved via rather gradual technical refinement instead.

this is the only way dubstep could have evolved anyway. actually grime as well really... like if rude is equated to prole there are plenty of prole examples in UK history which are not rude at all.

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Flicking back through, this intrigued me. Where else do you think people can take the jungle template?

loads of potentials tbh. 808 dutch/detroit electro but filtered through jungle's reggae sensibilities. using middle eastern and tuned percussion samples and hits. synthesised beatless constructions where the beats are just the 808 basslines. 2010s g-funk epics at 160 bpm. loads of potentials. actually pushing that jungle footwork sound forward, the warlock hazardous juke mix was a good example of this. most grime beats are basically the 2step drum and bass rhythms on the 1-3. obviously terror d etc were exceptions but they were junglists anyway! but not everyone could be a terror d and hence bad joker trance grime clones curtesy of air max 97. jungle drumkit clatter was way more advanced.

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
great mix imo, no doubt corpse will hate it because of his authentic chicago trip these days...

Last edited:

luka

A new adult oriented dissensus has emerged while I've been in Devon. It's quite disorientating and I don't feel I belong but I don't disapprove at all. I'm just not sure how or why it happened

luka

Feels like it cut the apron strings and grew up. I've got this weird mix of pride and sadness.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
well we should have made bahti a harem guard (eunuch by any other name...) the voluptuous babes were too enticing for him.

luka

How do you explain it? Version got a new burst of energy as the daffodils came up and next thing I know.... it's quite curious.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
dunno mate im watching everyone in this country go ... oh fuck it cop dominic will start acting snide ill pm u.