Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Independent Group

srs? looks like he maybe farts twice a week tops to me

John Major has writen a book about the English musichall tradition which I really enjoyed. It's called My Old Man 'cos his Dad was some kind of performer, I forget exactly of what type.

NOT BORING ENOUGH JOHN TONE IT DOWN
    DOWN

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DannyL For This Useful Post:

No doubt this led to mucho snobbery in the Tory Party. My fave diss of all time is the one levelled against Michael Heseltine by one of those other scumbags: "The problem with Michalel is he had to buy his own furniture". You cant' step to snobbery like that. It's bred in from the DNA up. Only solution is to put heads on pikes.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DannyL For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
    John Major has writen a book about the English musichall tradition which I really enjoyed. It's called My Old Man 'cos his Dad was some kind of performer, I forget exactly of what type.
    Wasn't he a circus ringleader or something?

Back when things other than terrorist cells and paedophile gangs had 'ringleaders'.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

He was a song and dance man apparently. Also "In July 1903 he and Kitty embarked on a performing tour of South America. He spent time at a cattle ranch in Argentina before getting caught up in civil war in Uruguay, where he was forced to enlist in a local militia." Sounds he'd be fun to have a pint with. Sounds like the fruit fell a way from the tree.

Back to TiG - I follow this guy on Twitter where he mostly clutches his pearls in horror at the state of the Labour Party but I think he's had some kind of feed in to their launch. He's just posted this, which is reassuringly boring: https://www.changepolitics.org.uk/co...ook-for-policy

And some actual contemporary reasons to hate Tony Blair, here: https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/st...24300748017665

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    The Labour party collectively needs to get the fuck over Blair. He did some good things and he did some bad things but he's been out of office and out of politics for a long time now.
    But he's still sticking his stupid oar in every chance he gets. The media collectively needs to get the fuck over Blair.

Quote Originally Posted by subvert47 View Post
    But he's still sticking his stupid oar in every chance he gets. The media collectively needs to get the fuck over Blair.
    True enough. In fact you don't go far enough, because there is a third entity that need to get the fuck over Tony Blair, and that's Tony Blair.

But if he was ever going to change he'd have done so by now, I think. Terminal case of a hype man who believes his own hype.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Tea For This Useful Post:

The military branch of TIG in training.

On one hand I thought this was funny, on the other .... not so much. Seems such a climate of hatred towards MPs at the moment. I wonder how long 'til we have another Jo Cox.

It does speak to the contractions at the heart of Corbynism to me - purporting to want to lead the state when so much of his life has been devoted to attacking its institutions. You have to believe in and acquiesce to the idea of the state and itss institutions - even the unpleasant ones - to lead effectively I think.

Fascinating... So, in order to lead effectively one must eschew reform and acquiesce to the demands of the institutions of one of the most violent and despicable states in human history... Military intelligence running psy-ops against Corbyn is... Corbyn's fault. Members of the most murderous regiment of the British army using Corbyn as target practise in a chilling display of contempt for democracy is... Corbyn's fault.

It's not entirely his fault, it takes two to tango but...

Here's Seamus Milne on the murder of Lee Rigby: "So the attack wasn't terrorism in the normal sense of an indiscriminate attack on civilians" - when your closest aide says something like that, it really is no wonder they pick him as a target.

Youre insane.

And youre wilfully distorting Milne. here's the full quote.

The videoed butchery of Fusilier Lee Rigby outside Woolwich barracks last May was a horrific act and his killers' murder conviction a foregone conclusion. Rigby was a British soldier who had taken part in multiple combat operations in Afghanistan. So the attack wasn't terrorism in the normal sense of an indiscriminate attack on civilians.

The killing of an unarmed man far from the conflict, however, by self-appointed individuals with non-violent political alternatives, isn't condoned by any significant political or religious tradition. Quite apart from morality, the impact was violently counter-productive for the Muslims that Rigby's killers claimed to be defending, as Islamophobic attacks spiked across Britain...

...There can't, after all, be the slightest doubt about what Rigby's killers thought they were doing. Michael Adebolajo spelled it out on the streets and in court. This was a "military attack", he claimed, in retaliation for Britain's occupation and violence in "Muslim lands", from Iraq to Afghanistan and beyond.

"Leave our lands and you can live in peace," the London-born Muslim convert told bystanders. The message couldn't be clearer. It was the same delivered by the 2005 London bomber, Mohammed Siddique Khan, and the Iraqi 2007 Glasgow attacker, Bilal Abdullah, who declared: "I wanted the public to have a taste" of what its government of "murderers did to my people".

To say these attacks are about "foreign policy" prettifies the reality. They are the predicted consequence of an avalanche of violence unleashed by the US, Britain and others in eight direct military interventions in Arab and Muslim countries that have left hundreds of thousands of dead. Only the wilfully blind or ignorant can be shocked when there is blowback from that onslaught at home. The surprise should be that there haven't been more such atrocities.

Mainstream Islamic teaching supports the right to resist foreign occupation, while rejecting violence against non-combatants or outside the battlefield. But it is the US and its closest allies in the war on terror who have declared the whole world to be a battlefield, in which they claim the right to kill whoever they deem to be a threat...
    https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...d-islamophobia

And of course, according to IHL, attacks on combatants who are off duty, not on the battlefield or otherwise hors de combat is not defined as terrorism but as a war crime, and redundant as it may be to point this out, the British army (and specifically the Parachute regiment) does this on a regular basis.