iconic, foundational and pivotal sets of 93/93 retro sets

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
same with hard house, the first club that stuff got played was trade, ironically one of the clubs that played belgian hardcore to the gays in 91-92. all that belgian music does give me a well gay vibe to be fair. that's why i love it.

ultimate gay rave anthem.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
you'd be surprised, optical, a-sides, all have happy hardcore bits in their discography. another top jungle don that is escaping me now.

DJ SS!

luka

I love Eastman a lot but I preferred this set before he got on the mic and it was just that nutty cockney talking about taking me to another dimension

luka

Jungle should eat all of music. Make all music into jungle. Feed it all in and have it come out junglized. I can happily imagine different jungles, Indian jungles, Moroccan jungles, Bill Laswell fantasies. Jungles that aren't based on the drum kit.

luka

We were talking about this last night. I was saying how once you start moving east you get all these beats which are as fast or faster than jungle but he's a drum kit supremacist he said there's no variety, it's not really rhythm at all it's merely texture. Fuck knows what that means lol

luka

Sadmanbarty

the drum kit is starkly different sound worlds intersecting and ricocheting off of one another in a way you don’t get with other percussion. tablas, bongos, etc. they’re too homogenised. they’re in the world of texture rather than rhythm. they lose that sense of separate entities coexisting and become washes of sound. the become mdma not dmt. ambience rather than information. nietzche not witgenstein

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
bollocks. also loads of funk has timbales and congas and bongos etc etc...

I mean it's like he's never heard incredible bongo band is it?

also, if you take a 1bar unquantised break but then still loop it it's metronomic. in non-electronic disco and funk no 2 bars are totally identical, though compared to eastern beats you could say they are far more rigid.

that was the radicality of jungle.

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
We were talking about this last night. I was saying how once you start moving east you get all these beats which are as fast or faster than jungle but he's a drum kit supremacist he said there's no variety, it's not really rhythm at all it's merely texture. Fuck knows what that means lol

My Dad was exactly like this, he wasn't impressed with jungle in the slightest, said it was basic stuff compared to Tony Williams.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
My Dad was exactly like this, he wasn't impressed with jungle in the slightest, said it was basic stuff compared to Tony Williams.

Well from a musical perspective he's right. but barty is wrong on all accounts. western music rarely if ever uses 7/8 and 9/8 or 2/9! if you listen to jungle as sound poetry though that doesn't matter.

sadmanbarty

Well from a musical perspective he's right. but barty is wrong on all accounts. western music rarely if ever uses 7/8 and 9/8 or 2/9! if you listen to jungle as sound poetry though that doesn't matter.

a couple things about odd time signatures

1) they alienate amateurs, which is by and large and unhealthy for musical evolution.

2) other than 3's, other time signatures don't actually offer anything new aesthetically. the following aren't imbued with anything particularly new emotionally or mood wise by their time signatures:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
frankly i couldn't give a shit about amateurs. white music (as in not noise and techno) hasn't had a single original idea since 1985! maybe it's time to alienate the amateurs for something truly revolutionary to take place. maybe we need white people who like their punk forerunners went against the grain and listened to reggae when that was still very much taboo in the liberal imaginary, death to amateurism! this is the only way your monoculturalism will work. #dialectics.

unless you want to defend hans zimmer apex of innovation.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
all good developments in music, hell in the UK have been anti-populist and dissensian. from hardcore to grime we are talking of a kind of inversion of the proletarian elite tradition. whereas previous trads like mods and soulboys were elitist by way of their snobbishness hardcore was elitist precisely by the esoteric knowledge and soundworld it imparted.

It's a good question, and something reynolds touches upon in one of his blog posts. Why did noone write energy flash from the standpoint of handbag house and balearic? because jungle was really not that big. like nowhere near as close to those sorts of clubs. it's only retroactively that we try and convince ourselves jungle was massive. it really wasn't, even the bigger raves still had to have packed to the rafters happy hardcore rooms until the late 90s. and the sets from those sets make thunder and joy and roast look like a deep house purists wet dream they were that scripted and predictable by the middle of 94. think about it, the twitchy dark garage and grime people were rebelling against dire shit like truesteppers. don't romanticise it.

Last edited:

luka

Given the real amateurs like me have no idea if I time signature is odd or not I doubt it makes any difference either way

luka

The Don cherry/latif khan album has a song called 5/54 or something and it's great. But I wouldn't register as weird, just fast.