why is religion so dry?

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I mean heaven should fill you with joy. hell should be like, kor, i don't want my history to be associated with these cunts. yet it isn't, nonexistence (that is to say, never having existed) has always seemed more desirable to the purposes imputed by religion.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Idk - I can think of some forms of Christianity that don't seem dry. Snake handling bapists and gospel churches for a start. I think religion is about meaning making here, plus a massive side order of ethnic idenification. It's not about the afterlife anyway. That's just the excuse.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
dunno. i wanna go back to religion to not commit suicide. but I can't just go to a gospel church can I. I have the dry varieties of sunni islam to fall back on.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Forgive me for being crass in advance 'cos I don't know much/anything the different forms of Islam but is there nothing in the mulitude of forms Islam can take that excites you? No heretical forms that catch your attention? Probably v hard to find if you're actually looking for a community around thatI accept.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
yeah, you have to enroll in them. so that means regular contact with a teacher of sorts. they are quite exclusive.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
a lot of that stuff is more cult (or occult) than religion (I'm using cult in a positive sense here not disparagingly)

I'm talking about base religion. why is it so dry? base materialistic music of the flesh is far more lively than it.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
so does consumerism though.

Why do people find consumerism dry and base religion not dry? I think they are both equally as dry (and shit...)

DannyL

Wild Horses
a lot of that stuff is more cult (or occult) than religion (I'm using cult in a positive sense here not disparagingly)

I'm talking about base religion. why is it so dry? base materialistic music of the flesh is far more lively than it.

Cos it mediates the personal experience - the most exciting aspects of religion, gnosis if you will - with those of community and wider society. It's has an inherent conservatism because of this. But maybe that's a refuge in today's over excitable world.