Thread: Gilets Jaunes

Default Gilets Jaunes

Apparently they're into their nineteenth week now. I dunno much about what they're doing or why at this point, but I can't help but admire their persistence.

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    I dunno much about what they're doing or why at this point
    I think their main political stance is 'anti'.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

They are apparently (lower) middle class - or at least those who started it. Hit by both increasing fuel/Petrol prices and taxes leaving them less and less money in their pockets. Basically it'sthe folx that keep the country going. And then you have a pretentous, condescending president in power who's "base" is the 5% of the richest in the country. Will lead to frictions sooner or later.

Of course, by now that amorphous movement has been highjacked by several radicals (both from the right and left).
    Last edited by firefinga; 24-03-2019 at 06:36 AM.

Whether he's got a direct hand in it or not - and I wouldn't be at all surprised if he does - I think it's fair to say Putin is enjoying the whole spectacle.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

what i don't understand is, why is this not happening in the uk? or in germany? there's every reason for it, just as there is in france.

a few bits have showed up in the uk according to some headlines

but the french are always ahead when it comes to this stuff

We've got brexit. We don't need it.

when was the last time people revolted in the uk?

Quote Originally Posted by yyaldrin View Post
    what i don't understand is, why is this not happening in the uk? or in germany? there's every reason for it, just as there is in france.
    Oh we've got shouty incoherent bigots here a-plenty, and some of them have even taking to wearing those snazzy yellow jackets!

Have you met many Brits? A lot of us are pretty revolting 24/7/365.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Tea For This Useful Post:

https://twitter.com/redbethmond/stat...67775687802880

this is annoying me for a longer time now. you see it at climate protests as well: so called funny placards. it's so counterproductive. when and where did this memeification happen? why is everything presented as a joke now?

based on photos for this weekend, lots of London protesters look more like a bunch of cheeky graphic designers and other creative types who spend their time creating witty signs and elaborate papier-mâché figures which they parade around with on a sunny Sunday afternoon stroll-cum-social event as opposed to angry GJ's smashing store windows and looting.

Nearly 30 years ago now

https://twitter.com/redbethmond/stat...67775687802880

this is annoying me for a longer time now. you see it at climate protests as well: so called funny placards. it's so counterproductive. when and where did this memeification happen? why is everything presented as a joke now?
    Oh god, there's a placard in Latin. Well if anything can bury the "metropolitan elite" stereotype once and for all, it's surely that!

And one comparing Brexit to the outbreak of WWII. Yes it's a big deal but come the fuck ooon, jesus.

never seen or heard about this one