craner

Beast of Burden
I was genuinely terrified by the turn of events in the early 00s, but writing about it was cathartic. I learnt to rationalise it. That's why my next blog was called World War Four.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I don't buy it anyway. Way back in 2003 you were writing a blog called 'A TIME FOR FEAR' and inventing Islamophobia. Your catchphrase is 'Doom' why would you choose 2019 of all years to suddenly stop being afraid. It don't add up.

At this stage, I almost feel like if you're not frightened, it's for one of three reasons: you're not paying attention, you're currently high on something pleasantly numbing or you're one of the people everyone else is frightened of.

version

Top definition
Craner
Wise and wild~~~~unique and down to earth.
craner is there for everyone. She is wise beyond her years yet young and fun!!
#crane#kraner#cranner#kranner#kramer
by hottcougar February 03, 2010

craner

Beast of Burden
My actual phrase was "the Desmond Morris of Doom" which was true enough in the 2003 days until I got on board with Paul Wolfowitz.

craner

Beast of Burden
Violent aggressive rap music used to cheer me up but now bartys convinced them all to go psychedelic and make baby noises.

Here you are, have waited years to return the favour following my road trip to Baton Rouge

Leo

area's affected most by climate change lay in the global south, the periphery that is already being exploited and stolen of its wealth. there will still be plenty of land to live on in case of climate change i think. we're talking about 1-5% of the global population. they don't have any reason to be frightened i think.

climate change and resulting rising sea levels eventually wipe out Wall Street and most of Manhattan. business and people will move elsewhere, global order reshuffled. say goodbye to Miami. San Francisco, home of much tech industry, is hilly so might be ok.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
Yeah, this is my take, basically. Rising sea levels? Fine, don't live in a low-lying coastal region. Ever-worsening heat waves? Summer home in Norway/Nova Scotia/halfway up a mountain somewhere. Spiraling cost of basic foods? Doesn't matter when you live on Kobe sirloin and caviar. Droughts everywhere? Who cares, if you drink San Pellegrino anyway. Societal breakdown and ramping violent crime? Gated communities, armed security etc.

yeh this is why i sometimes drift away in negative thoughts. thinking fuck all these green political parties, don't care about extra bicycle lanes or drinking from plastic straws. policy all paid by the working class. if we go down, let's go down together, including and especially the rich.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I am Dissensus's own Tony Robbins.

WITNESS:

We'd all be a lot more frightened 100 years ago, I dare say. If we hadn't already been turned to mincemeat by german machine guns.

:):):)

droid

There are very, very good reasons to be afraid. The prospects of total ecological collapse are very real. Trophic cascade, phytoplankton collapse, climate feedback, these are all very real, very near and potentially extinction level events. The economic and political threats are secondary but also have the potential to end civilisation.

That said, its important not to narrativise the world. Humanity may deserve blood and fire, but the universe isnt a moral place. Likewise, even the most monolithic power structures can collapse in an instant.

History is full of reversals and revolution and there's still time to stave off the worst and for us to live in a depleted but non catastrophic future.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
yeh this is why i sometimes drift away in negative thoughts. thinking fuck all these green political parties, don't care about extra bicycle lanes or drinking from plastic straws. policy all paid by the working class. if we go down, let's go down together, including and especially the rich.

Uh, not sure how you got that from my post. How are green policies "paid [for] by the working class"? The only real thing I can think of is stuff like heavy taxation on vehicle fuel, because it's a regressive tax like all point-of-sale taxes.

And my whole point is that it's the global poor who are most at risk of climate change and environmental degradation generally. The rich will still be fine long after the rest of us have frazzled or starved to death. By that time they'll probably be living in space colonies with robots and replicants to do all the work for them.

Leo

The rich will still be fine long after the rest of us have frazzled or starved to death. By that time they'll probably be living in space colonies with robots and replicants to do all the work for them.

true, although most of those one-percenters make their fortunes by selling goods and services to the rest of us. once we've starved ourselves to death, their customer base disappears and fortunes crumble. robots don't buy stuff.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
true, although most of those one-percenters make their fortunes by selling goods and services to the rest of us. once we've starved ourselves to death, their customer base disappears and fortunes crumble. robots don't buy stuff.

Yeah but they'll prolly have worked out luxury gay space communism by then or something.

Agent

dgaf ngaf cgaf
You know this thought has crept into my head from time to time over the past couple years: What if a landlocked bad actor in the East (China, Russia, N Korea if we have a falling out) dropped nukes on the blue ice in Greenland when it is exposed in the Summer? Wouldn't this trigger a cascading melt effect that would instantly submerge the eastern seaboard of the US and most of Western Europe? And isn't Greenland unrestricted airspace or at least unmonitored for nuclear subs and the like? You might not even need nukes, and it would hit so fast no one would know who was responsible.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
You know this thought has crept into my head from time to time over the past couple years: What if a landlocked bad actor in the East (China, Russia, N Korea if we have a falling out) dropped nukes on the blue ice in Greenland when it is exposed in the Summer? Wouldn't this trigger a cascading melt effect that would instantly submerge the eastern seaboard of the US and most of Western Europe? And isn't Greenland unrestricted airspace or at least unmonitored for nuclear subs and the like? You might not even need nukes, and it would hit so fast no one would know who was responsible.

I haven't watched a new Bond movie in many years but I'd watch the hell out of the next one if you wrote the screenplay based on this idea.

Slight flaw is that none of those countries is exactly landlocked. Russia might be more or less OK but most of China's population lives on the coast or in low-lying river valleys.

I haven't watched a new Bond movie in many years but I'd watch the hell out of the next one if you wrote the screenplay based on this idea.

Slight flaw is that none of those countries is exactly landlocked. Russia might be more or less OK but most of China's population lives on the coast or in low-lying river valleys.

Great way to fritter away a nuclear stockpile with no discernible effect on anything