Leo

as for whether I'm frightened? no, 50 degrees temperatures have been standard in Southern turkey for centuries. English just love a good panic because they are vacuous people.

yeah well kind of hard for farmers to grow food to feed the world in those conditions, we can all enjoy surviving on dried twigs and grasshoppers I guess.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
yeah well kind of hard for farmers to grow food to feed the world in those conditions, we can all enjoy surviving on dried twigs and grasshoppers I guess.

we'll be fine, you just have bad farming infrastructure and a shite eco system which u destroyed when u killed the native americans. loads of figs and grapes will do just fine.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
um, no? we have a sweltering climate in turkey but the land will be fertile if the neighbouring countries around it aren't bombed to death and canadians don't start cutting all our trees for their company construction projects.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
climate change (or should we say capitalist climate change) has been a huge threat in the east, but the current west centred outrage about is a moral panic is what I'm saying. we've viscerally known its fucked for ages, we didn't just notice it in the last few years outside the abstract realm.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket

whats so confusing? just saying yes, it's a huge threat but i don't understand the outrage from 2017-19 that has skyrocketed. sounds like super anglo guilt. why no outrage when they were burning villages in turkey and iraq in the 90s for their construction projects?

Leo

c'mon, third, that's argument creep: expanding the scope of your argument well beyond your original point and what I reacted to. it's also a case of whataboutism. problems are always going to receive greater attention once their impact is felt by a greater number of people.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
no, my original point was that I'm not frightened because a spike in temperatures doesn't indicate a climate catastrophe for me, aridification does. we grow fruits in 50 degree temperatures all the time, because we have a wet climate as well. it's not just about heat.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
if your argument is whether I'm frightened of the west bollocksing up the management of the climate catastrophe, then usually I'd say yes, but I've reached such a point of sinicism that I expect to die pretty uneventfully and painfully.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
your argument was more like if its 50 degrees we'll all have to live on dried twigs. uh, so how have we been living off peaches, figs, grapes, peppers, etc etc etc for centuries with 50 degree temperatures being the norm?

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
So it's OK if the ice melts? Cool

oh ffs use your brain, man! that's not what i was saying. you've travelled to morocco, you know how swelteringly hot it can get there whilst people still growing their shit. what I was protesting against is people in the UK and US saying oh the heat is so hot blah blah, as if now they understand it. they don't.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
and no, I'm not a denialist but I'm not frightened. I'm cynical. is that wrong? is it wrong for me to feel that most people would rather invent a new religion or a new tribalistic political faith to keep themselves going rather than sitting down and actually strategising for the future? the death drive in psychology is real, after all. we all feel the pull of it, we all want to self-destruct in certain ways.

Leo

perhaps technically correct, but not realistically. peaches, figs and pepper will not feed the masses who make up your favorite punching bag, the bourgeois/capitalist world.