DJ Stingray

forclosure

was at a gig he did down Bethnal Green once him Helena Hauff and one or two other techno people

just intense and constantly forward moving with all these nasty ass synth sounds was kinda dizzying at times to keep up

Im no expert in techno/electro of any kind but i like what he does just cause its nasty and doesnt fuck about also i like how he fucks about with the speed of tracks cause it reminds me of listening to rap and bashment tracks where the pitch or speed would be a bit off sometimes it would be better than how the songs sound regularly

version

Apparently he moved to Berlin a couple of years ago:

“The plan was just to be near where the love was,” Ingram says of his move to Berlin. “I took a gamble. I said, you know what, every time I come over here there’s loads of people who I meet and they say, ‘next time you’re in Europe call me, we’ll have you play.’ I started analysing the types of clubs and crowds that I play for, for want of a better word my ‘market’, and they’re small to medium clubs that don’t have too much of a budget. They can’t fly me transatlantic, but it’s easier to fly me from Berlin than it is Detroit.”

----------------------------------------

third posted his Essential Mix the other day, it's sick.

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
100% the collapse of modern culture is like some spectral downtempo hip hop/electro thing, quite ghostly better than all that trip hop that is so highly rated for others.

Really though

mind melting sun ra esque electro. actually i wish someone would commission the big boys in detroit to make like two lps worth of their most abstract stuff.

catalog

100% the collapse of modern culture is like some spectral downtempo hip hop/electro thing, quite ghostly better than all that trip hop that is so highly rated for others.

Really though

mind melting sun ra esque electro. actually i wish someone would commission the big boys in detroit to make like two lps worth of their most abstract stuff.

little bit underwhelming tbh. i saw he was playing at the white hotel recently but i didn't go. i dunno, this sort of thing isn't doing a lot for me nowadays - can't really put my finger on why.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
little bit underwhelming tbh. i saw he was playing at the white hotel recently but i didn't go. i dunno, this sort of thing isn't doing a lot for me nowadays - can't really put my finger on why.

Yeah there is a lot and a lot of saturation of electro in the scene, a lot of people making the lo fi house thing a few years ago have jumped onto electro now, + the plant43 ambient end of things was always so rife for kraftwerk wannabes to copy... I always tell people in electro that they should listen to more beat club and freestyle than kraftwerk who have been lionised to death and essentially become a 'white father' pretty fooking disgusting if im being honest but that is Euro techno fetishism for you.

Still it's miles better in some respects than the new diplo-esque RBMA craze for the arty shanty-house. I wanna stick with it through this thin but also like im not really too bothered if it dies out in 10 years time we've had it good for all these years. just hope something comes along in the meantime. the rian treanor end of things is wicked but he needs to get more into the dirty funk sound world in my opinion. but yeah the live coding end of things has ome potential because dj music has honestly exhausted itself.

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I quite like Umwelt as well. In fact they are fucking great continuing the kind of dystopian tendancies in 2012 but not in the drone techno death trap way.

Client Eastwood

TCOMC is a classic. like thirdform im suprised non of the detriot techno guys have explored this area, where it not all about the 4-4. shake does it sometimes. Urban Tribes - authorised clinical trails is the polar opposite of TCOMC, much harder electro styles. well worth checking out.

catalog

Yeah there is a lot and a lot of saturation of electro in the scene, a lot of people making the lo fi house thing a few years ago have jumped onto electro now, + the plant43 ambient end of things was always so rife for kraftwerk wannabes to copy... I always tell people in electro that they should listen to more beat club and freestyle than kraftwerk who have been lionised to death and essentially become a 'white father' pretty fooking disgusting if im being honest but that is Euro techno fetishism for you.

Still it's miles better in some respects than the new diplo-esque RBMA craze for the arty shanty-house. I wanna stick with it through this thin but also like im not really too bothered if it dies out in 10 years time we've had it good for all these years. just hope something comes along in the meantime. the rian treanor end of things is wicked but he needs to get more into the dirty funk sound world in my opinion. but yeah the live coding end of things has ome potential because dj music has honestly exhausted itself.

i used to be really into the minimal techno sound and could listen for hours but it now feels a bit boring for me. i think because like you say, it's perhaps become oversaturated. or maybe a high water mark was reached and there's not really anywhere else for it to go. rian treanor is very good in the club - always enjoy his sets that i've seen live. they seem to be about a cultivation of dis-harmony, like you can't really lock into a groove, but there's still some momentum there.

most impressive recent thing for me, in that whole 'death of rave' vein (which i'm really into) is this https://boomkat.com/products/black-mechanical-dj-set-at-the-white-hotel although it's not an easy listen at all. Live set was just what i needed at the time.

version

rian treanor is very good in the club - always enjoy his sets that i've seen live. they seem to be about a cultivation of dis-harmony, like you can't really lock into a groove, but there's still some momentum there.

How do people react to his stuff in the club? Are they able to properly dance to it?

catalog

usually one or two people going mental trying to find some kind of rhythm and most other people just standing around at the back. quite a lot of head nodding. significant minority head scratching or stood outside asking about when the real music will start etc. out of all the death of rave people i would say rian treanor's is the most obviously 'difficult' to get going to, but once you've found it, you can definitely go for it.