Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Alien (1979)

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post

Truly iconic
    I remember a great mod for the original Doom that had a whole new set of in-game sounds, and it used that "Game over, man!" sample when you died. Classic.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

I think that Alien (like Solaris) used that dirty, industrial feel for spaceships that hasn't dated as much as more gleaming visions of space. Probably a small part of it. Plus the facehuggers and the parasitical impregnation was simply a terrifying idea.
    Anyone see Inseminoid?

Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich View Post
    I think that Alien (like Solaris) used that dirty, industrial feel for spaceships that hasn't dated as much as more gleaming visions of space.
    I think that was one of the many missteps of the Star Wars prequels, we jumped back thirty years or so and suddenly everything was encased in chrome.

We all know how Alien (and probably bladerunner) wouldn't exist if it hadn't been for Jodorowsky's Dune? There's a bunch of articles about it online. Dan O'Bannon's book goes into it in detail...

Though on the other hand maybe it would have been clean thirty years before, then it got dirty for the actual ones. Or maybe I'm making excuses, I never made it through the prequels to be honest.

One of the many ways the prequels sucked was over-reliance on CGI for the space scenes, which weren't a patch on what was achieved in 1977 using models on wires and primitive analogue editing tech.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

2001 is an interesting one. It isn't really gleaming or rugged, just sort of clean and minimal, and it's aged remarkably well.

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    2001 is an interesting one. It isn't really gleaming or rugged, just sort of clean and minimal, and it's aged remarkably well.
    I think all the space stuff that has aged well - Solaris, 2001, Alien etc - did all the fx they could physically do and made a conscious decision not to try and do the stuff they couldn't manage. Star Wars is the exception where I believe they gambled on some technology coming together for the space fights and luckily it did.

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    I thought there was 2001-ish, or at least Kubrickian, feel to the set designs in Blade Runner 2049. Which was sonically and aesthetically excellent, I thought, but badly let down by an unengaging plot, over-reliance on action and explosions and Jared Leto's ridiculous pantomime villain.

I still haven't seen 2049, I liked the look of it though.

I watched AVP: Requiem last night - strange film. The characters were as flat and poorly written as you'd expect, but some of it caught me off guard and seemed quite 'daring', namely that they showed a kid being killed by a xenomorph, a pregnant woman being impregnated by the hybrid followed by three chestbursters popping out of her and the military nuked the entire town, killing pretty much everyone.

Someone To Watch Over me is my favourite Scott. Very low key. I rate it higher than Alien or Blade Runner. Shame his oeuvre has so many bombs. His directing style suited the 80s aesthetic so much.

Apparently this is either shit or pretty good.