• Grime

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Dubstep

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Luka never rated deeptech either

neither did I and neither did barty yes. for some baffling reason you did though and tried to claim that bleep and bass beats were less syncopated! and trilliam saying that deep tech crowd would not dance to sweet exorcist lmao, except the deep tech that was good was literally a carbon copy!

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
you know what this is the blackdown mentality you've pissed me off now ffs. I said i wasn't gonna mention anyone...

lads people listen to soul and rare groove and even in some places gabber and squatters acid on council estate you know.

Last edited:

luka

you know what this is the blackdown mentality you've pissed me off now ffs.

lads people listen to house and rare groove on council estate you know ffs.

I had barty on the phone today and we were talking about what would third think of Martin Clarke funnily enough

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
the difference between me and the blackdown nuum lot (and here i am talking about the collective mentality sired more than his personal taste or his personal outlook) is im not afraid to wear my nerd listening on my sleave. why would I? I listen to the majority of my music at home. clubbing is a luxury for a blind person, especially them big clubs they adore like fabric. am i somehow less valid then?

It was all that histrionic hyper tempestuous save fabric shit that made me not go out for good. the amount of energy people invested into saving that shite airport security club was comparable to the amount of energy careerist twats are investing in brexit. whilst by far the most accessible scene to me, the warehouse scene was summarily fucked off in fits of self-righteous identity politicking by straight white blokes and their clinger on coloured allies (/) sycofantic liberal-bourgeois feminist journalist admirers, who for some mysterious reason thought they were in gay downtown chicago, though even if they went to a gay hard house or hard techno night they'd start cancelling everyone from the amount of kisses they got.

Last edited:

luka

We want to believe in a third that issues fatwahs but are often perplexed by the existence of a tolerant liberal live and let live third

luka

Once Reynolds sheepishly, half heartedly, to a backdrop of howling derision and disbelief, defended blackdown to me and barty.

version

One of our 'guests' was reading an old thread about Woebot and Blackdown having an argument last night

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
This was the side of dubstep I could get behind. Im sure Luka will hate these tunes, but there's something there, albeit not very dubby... or steppy.

http://www.weareie.com/2008/09/blogariddims-49-dubtronics.html

honestly i don't really care if dubstep was dubby or steppy in the black arc vein i just thought after 2010 more people would do interesting things with the 140-70 axis. similarly how im not too bothered about the 170 template having to be orthodox junglistic. this is what i meant. nuum can become a fetishism to hold onto social capital.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
if anything is the reason why modern dubstep is pretty self-contained is paradoxically precisely because it is trying to replicate a 70s ja aesthetic. just don't do that and a world of possibilities opens up, even in the greyscale aggy noises sense.

jungle didn't do this, it was a language in itself.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Dubstep was a joke. Maybe 10% if that, is still worth listening to. Skunked out in the worst way. There was a space/need for something new to come along because everything else had ran its course and dubstep filled the hole. The way the major players all jumped ship to trendy techno shows just how much creativity and integrity there was behind it. Maybe it was the nuum death rattle?

firefinga

Dubstep was prolly the most "sausage-fest-y" of any electronic music genres - together with IDM. I mean all electronic music genres were male dominated, but with techno or jungle you had at least a couple of female dJs or producers. I can't remember any female dubstep producer.

Last edited:

droid

honestly i don't really care if dubstep was dubby or steppy in the black arc vein i just thought after 2010 more people would do interesting things with the 140-70 axis. similarly how im not too bothered about the 170 template having to be orthodox junglistic. this is what i meant. nuum can become a fetishism to hold onto social capital.

Oh yeah, it was dead by then, if not long before. Mary Anne Hobbs was the beginning of a rapid decline.

droid

Though having been to a fair few proper soundsystem dances and a smattering of dubstep nights, there was a commonality of vibe going on. Very much a particular aspect of reggae... that kind of relentless UK steppers buzz - but there was something there.

version

I think the halfstep template sucked the life out of it pretty quickly, it's hard to feel enthusiastic about plodding dance music.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Oh yeah, it was dead by then, if not long before. Mary Anne Hobbs was the beginning of a rapid decline.

Well that's cos mary anne hobbes was living with loefah who knows maybe they were fucking i have no idea. but it was a case of making my mates big, that never works out! actually i really don't think she was the problem contrary to dissensus wisdom, a lot of monopolisation politics in london which living in dublin you might not be so aware of. there's a reason why the post-dubstep thing took off, people wanted somewhat of an eclectic aesthetic problem of course being it was rich white kids appropriating an afro-caribbean lineage they had little connection to growing up. otherwise things were still v divided and cliquey around 08. like, grime was pretty much dead on a non-initiates level, dubstep was going the way of jump up dnb, funky was just funky. a lot of people started listening to old tangerine dream and aphex at that time it was a strange time. a lot of the nuum gets romanticised but really a lot of it was the best way to sell a commodity and many in the scenes (unlike techno) were frankly open about it.

Last edited: