Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gravity's Rainbow

You notice the opening mirrors Ulysses? Pirate = Buck Mulligan, milling about in his dressing gown, ascending the steps and looking out, coming back down for breakfast with his friends.

Hands down one of my favourite books ever. I was turned onto Pynchon by my tantrik guru who was a hod carrier from Oldham. Even having the time to read it flashes me back to an earlier point in my life.... I think I read GR for the second time travelling round Thailand and India, and for a third time on the 73 from Stoke Newington going to work every day when I was back in the Smoke, with this in the other hand: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gravitys-Ra...s=books&sr=1-2

Some random thoughts off the top of my head - how postmodern it is, with the shifts in register and perspective. Slothrop's story runs as comic backdrop but all the other material is so incredible. Blicero and the mysical cult of the rocket and the weird impressionistic S&M that appears to be going on there - that was some of the stuff I found most striking. The way that was written as dark gothic fantasy offsetting the coour and craziness of the rest of the novel. I don't have a copy at the moment but even thinking about it is making me want to reread.
    Last edited by DannyL; 29-03-2019 at 08:59 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DannyL For This Useful Post:

It was the industrial networks that first really grabbed my attention I think, IG Farben and that interweaving of industry and technological innovation with the mechanics of war. It kinda captures an alternative perspective that makes any kind of attachment or belief in mere terrestrial politics seem profoundly stupid. A perspective I wish I'd keep to. He's hinting at this h the gnostic networks of Lot 49 but I think it comes to full fruition here.

I recall IdleRich saying after watching Tarkovsky's Mirror soemthing like "how could that be made by mortal man?". How on Earth could a single person create something so magnificant, so complex and well conceived. GR is like that for me. How did he do it? What drugs was he on? I guess I should read Slow Learner?

Crap on femaele characters though IIRC? Though I guess there's Opedia Maas in CoL49
    Last edited by DannyL; 29-03-2019 at 09:04 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DannyL For This Useful Post:

Apparently he smoked a lot of weed. There's some story about a guy tracking him down at the time and him having a bin full of it, also Jules Siegel, an old college friend, said he'd told him that he was "so fucked up I can't remember writing some of this stuff".

8. The Following User Says Thank You to version For This Useful Post:

The final page has always stayed with me - a moment, glancing upwards, before the inevitability of death - "There is time, if you need the comfort, to touch the person next to you, or to reach between your own cold legs....". Fucking hell. Still absoutely slays me.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DannyL For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    Apparently he smoked a lot of weed. There's some story about a guy tracking him down at the time and him having a bin full of it, also Jules Siegel, an old college friend, said he'd told him that he was "so fucked up I can't remember writing some of this stuff".
    It's very obviously a cannaboid imagination.

Remarkably coherent for a stoner fantasy though? I'd also thought he must've been on speed. Just the scope, the multifarious nature of the references. It's like a bloody encyclopedia of the 20th century really, as others were implying above

The process was apparently just him being locked in a room on the beach in California for around ten years, smoking huge amounts of weed and writing eight hours or so a day. He had a little figure of Porky Pig on his desk and a note pinned to the wall which read "Eschew Sloth" and he would write on graph paper in very precise, "engineer's" handwriting.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to version For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
    How on Earth could a single person create something so magnificant, so complex and well conceived. GR is like that for me. How did he do it?
    He did it more than once too, Mason & Dixon is staggering.

Ten years sounds about right. I'll have to check out Mason & Dixon.

One of Pounds themes in The Cantos is the way money makes a mockery of the nation state, in the same way the wealthy donate to both Republican and Democratic party in the US

18. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

These divisions don't count.

"It’s been a prevalent notion. Fallen sparks. Fragments of vessels broken at the Creation. And someday, somehow, before the end, a gathering back to home. A messenger from the Kingdom, arriving at the last moment. But I tell you there is no such message, no such home -- only the millions of last moments... no more. Our history is an aggregate of last moments."

I've read 590 pages. This edition has 901, so I'm almost two thirds of the way through and what has just occurred to me is that this is not a funny book and Pynchon is not a funny man. 590 pages and not a single chuckle or grin.