Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gravity's Rainbow

I think he's funny, but in a very dorky, laboured way that I have to be in the mood for; GR strikes as me more sad than anything anyway.

Is the humour falling flat holding it back for you?

Obviously it's too long and too diffuse and the lack pf purpose, direction and clarity means sometimes I want to give up but mostly I'm enjoying it.

I don't think I've ever read a big book that couldn't be improved by being shorter.

I didn't think it was particularly funny either. Maybe the odd moment but that's not my memory of the book and it's not what I wanted from it or judged it on.

I like the orgy scene with Greta's daughter, can't remember her name. Who cares, right? She's dead now. And the final scene with the kids in the rocket. The rest is just a convoluted mess (with some real clever writing and dense reference material you can plunder for years and (wasted) years!).
    Last edited by Agent Nucleus; 08-04-2019 at 11:09 PM.

Pyncheon is a white whale for me ive got Lot 49 but i find i kinda stop and start with it i dont think its bad but i dunno its works in spurts for me, recognize theres alot of reffences in there that i dont get because i aint read as much as him his sense of humour comes across more slapsticky than i expected but thats just me.

Id like to read Mason & Dixon and GR but something in my guy tells me im not ready for those two yet

I also have bleeding edge but waiting to get around to that one at some point.

As much as it makes him out to be a freakshow and is part of that reclusive author bullshit myth there is something incredibly appealing to me about a guy who nobody knows what he looks like and the only pics of him date back to when he was in the navy in his early 20s,hes not a recluse out of some self-made mythologizing he just prefers to keep to himself and not deal with the reporters and all that yet SOMEHOW he seems to be completly ontop of whats going on in the world.

Id be lying if i were to say especially with how our relationships with the internet has flumoxed and warped over the years that i dont envy him

Some tabloid actually got a couple of shots of him recently, apparently they staked out his apartment building and snapped him on his way to vote with his son. A freelancer from Norway managed to track him down too.

The whole thing was so classless and unnecessary, anyone who knows who he is knows how he feels about reporters and his privacy and there's more than enough material in his books for those interested.

I got stuck around page 650. It's mostly cos I entered a mucky turbid brain zone. Not so much the fault of the book. I couldn't read anything. quite unpleasant but yes these things happen. I'm back into it now got about 100 pages left. He was definitely smoking too much weed when he wrote it.

It's the whimsicality that marks it out as a stoner book.

I think that's been a constant throughout his career though, and I doubt he's been that stoned for 50 years.

I finished this a couple of days ago. It's ok. But compare it to Burroughs. Wsb is a major artist. Pynchon very much a minor artist, second rate by birth.

What did and didn't you like about it?