Thread: The Uncanny

Default The Uncanny

You know it when you hear it...

The album thread has me going back over Amber for the first time in a while and realising just how strangely familiar and dreamlike the whole thing is. It's probably not my favourite of theirs (Autechre), but it's the only one that really has this quality for me. It sounds like floating in space or sitting in an empty room on a very low dose of mushrooms, everything's kind of off but in a neutral way and there's so much negative space around you.

The closest thing I can think of in terms of feel is SAW Vol. II or the shots of the Nostromo hanging in space in Alien, there's just something in the pads and synths that projects you into this massive, empty, indifferent and oddly familiar place.

These three in particular come to mind:

This particular theme from the Léon - The Professional soundtrack has something similar going on for me.

My Dad once described a mushroom trip where he sat in the corner of someone's living room and noticed that everything was just off in some way. Nothing had changed and he hadn't taken a large enough dose for anything drastic, but it all looked slightly different, in particular the cable running from the back of the TV which seemed to be bristling and slightly furry, much like the tail of a rat.

There's that Jandek album, Ready for the House, that really nails it when you look at the cover whilst listening.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to version For This Useful Post:

I wish this album was easier to find:

That stuff was reissued in 2013, you can get reasonably cheap copies on Discogs.

Solaris - https://www.discogs.com/Eduard-Artem...elease/5007359

The Mirror / Stalker - https://www.discogs.com/Eduard-Artem...elease/5671290

7. The Following User Says Thank You to version For This Useful Post: