Individualism?

DJ PIMP

When I was younger I was interested in how I was different to others. Then I became interested in what I have in common with others.

Because once I understood that everyone is different, I no longer felt the need to be an individual.

Its the beginning of the end of otherness?

D84

bleep said:
When I was younger I was interested in how I was different to others. Then I became interested in what I have in common with others.

Because once I understood that everyone is different, I no longer felt the need to be an individual.

Its the beginning of the end of otherness?

Not really because there a still many parts of society where there is a pressure to conform. For example, school, and anywhere else that has a school-ish atmosphere eg. erm.. Parliament, Golf Clubs, Night Clubs etc - and where it is de rigeur to act and dress like others, share the same opinions. Is this always a good thing?

Sure we all have two arms, eyes legs etc but there are essential differences and distances between people (islands in the stream) and this should be respected.

Sure Capitalism says that it values individuality (is this really reflected in board-rooms?) but I think it is a fallacy and a gross over-simplification to think or imply that if we get rid of individuality then Capitalism will wither...

Greed and stupidity are just as common as individuality.