Tell me about where you live

other_life

bioconfused
i live in the northwestern corner of the northernmost state of the mainland u.s. i live 25 minutes away from the headwaters of the mississippi river.
i spend lots of my time in what used to be a railroad town but is now really just a collection of houses along dirt roads surrounded by evergreen trees, there's a paved trail that you can take into town right next to us.
the town is named after its lake. its center is its state university and its downtown.
over a bridge and next to its other lake is this really great arts + general community space, this indigenous-environmental group has its office there, they were at standing rock, they have a library as well, a performance space with really great acoustics.
at one end of the town, its south, where i come in from these days, is a grocery store, a neighborhood that used to be a different town, bullshit suburban development that used to be woods with a couple houses next to the opposite side of aforementioned other lake.
at the other end of the town is where most of the chain restaurants and big box stores and the mall and the repurposed strip mall have been relegated to. it's also where the high school-middle school i graduated from, as well as the mainstream high school and middle school all are.
and holy fuck there are just so many churches, all different protestant denominations that aren't substantially any fucking different from each other, all over this part of the state, all over the u.s. i suppose but FUCK.
oh did i fucking mention the settlers committed genocide and even those who didn't directly participate cheered it on and even those who didn't cheer it on are still eating the spoils? because there's a couple first nations reservations up here as well, god bless em for real. and this sort of quiet antagonism between natives and whites, houseless and addicted first nations people in the town, cliques in the elementary and mainstream middle + high schools along these lines. at the school i went to it's not *as* bad.
it's pretty small but you have to drive an hour and a half south to find some place bigger. and i like the culture up here somewhat better, it's a degree less white bread than the more central and southern parts of the state. just a degree. though the rich from those parts come up here to vacation.

other_life

bioconfused
also barty minor point but speaking as one u can just say transgender -u- 'trans-gendered' comes across as stilted, it's also apparently supposed to imply something ~problematic~ (not that u have to give a fuck) but i don't remember what, just that i was corrected on it when figuring this stuff out myself

other_life

bioconfused
i think the most entrenched settler dipshits felt briefly emboldened by trump's campaign and election
but there was like a "RESPECT" meeting in the public square/park (huge statue of paul and babe btw, talk about great depression tourist trap kitsch) shortly after the inauguration where lots of people came together to be like "we're going to protect first nations peoples afro-americans immigrants and our gay and trans kids and friends and use physical force to do so if we have to and there's not a god damn thing you can do about it"
so now they're mostly talk, hunched over at tables at the bars, and otherwise signaling games to each other. i think lots of them have taken on this persecution complex, like they're being persecuted for being christians or whatever (matthew 6:27, y'all), of course it's just that nobody likes them.
at the redneck bars out of town they've always had a more receptive audience than in town, probably thanks to the university. an acquaintance of my dad's was telling me how she's seen people ready to fight when overhearing that kind of talk in bars.
a texas transplant who spent a fair bit of time in california even, partner of one of my dad and godmother's younger co-workers, said he's met more communists here than anywhere else he's been. which is also, cool.
also my godmother hosts bitchin parties right next to the river, my dad has this whole chosen family, they've always been lovely. it's been a space where i've been able to get responsibly buzzed before legal drinking age (which i will be tomorrow) and have these in-depth conversations. i know they're not my age but at this point i don't give a fuck. i'll be going to uni soon (finally, 3 years after graduating hs...)

luka

Ive been wistmans wood. My mate wobbly pete done a big sloppy beer shit in it

Adding to the magic of the place in his own way. It takes something from each of us.

wistmons.jpg

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
One time when I went to visit my friend in Paris we were walking to a bar or something down a fairly busy central street and suddenly he gets the urge cos of all the booze and food etc, finds a kinda traffic island with a bit of shrubbery and a small pine tree and disappears for five minutes. When he comes back he tells me he's left a present under the tree.

luka

We have a whole thread about this called 'al fresco shitting' I think Simon Reynolds or Droid started it, one of those two.

luka

Here's corpseys account

"I shat myself in Egypt about four-five years ago. I dunno how I got a dodgy stomach (could have been any number of reasons) - all I know is that I was drinking a can of Sprite in my hotel room, looking forward to a boat trip down the nile which was commencing the next day, when suddenly I did a fart that was more liquid than the contents of the can I was sipping from. I rushed to the toilet, squitted a bit and laughed it off - 'So that was my experience of diahorrea while travelling' I thought, smugly.

I spent the rest of the night shitting and sweating and vomiting. At one point I was sick in the sink at the SAME TIME as letting loose a pound of chocolate Angel Delight from my arse-end. I went to bed, teary eyed and turdy arsed, about five hours later. I shat myself in my sleep, waking up to find myself tucked into what was effectively a gigantic sheet of used Andrex.

Then on the boat down the nile, I lay on my back and moaned a lot for about two days, occasionally leaving the boat to go and do a wet shit in the desert sands while stray dogs circled around me hoping that some Pedigree chum would fall out of my bumhole.

One night (and I'm not lying) I had a dream where I was in a 'who can shit the fastest?' contest. The guy judging the contest counted down from 3. On '1' I woke up. If I could have shrunk the boat we were on to the size of a chocolate mini roll than we could have gone on a little cruise down my trouser legs.''

- shat in a hedge on new years day about five years or more ago. left a party in the middle of the countryside while pissed up... stormed off, basically, with the intention of walking home (even though i was miles from home and had no idea how to even get close to near it), ended up walking around in pitch darkness half freezing to death. that was when the hedge shitting occured.

- several other times in numerous fields. i grew up in a fairly rural area. its par for the course.
rap'n'bullshit"

luka

Mr Tea

"I dug a little pit with my heel and kicked soil and leaf litter over it afterwards like a cat. "

luka

One of the weird things about living is the uncomfortable relationship you get into with the people in the local corner shop. They know too much about you. Have seen you in too many different states.

IdleRich

IdleRich
We have a whole thread about this called 'al fresco shitting' I think Simon Reynolds or Droid started it, one of those two.
It was a companion to his famous Energy Slash book.

craner

Beast of Burden
One of the weird things about living is the uncomfortable relationship you get into with the people in the local corner shop. They know too much about you. Have seen you in too many different states.

Oh my God that is so true.