Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Substantive Discussion. What It Is & How To Get It.

where did sadmanbarty come from, and can he save dissensus?

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    Version got the best out of corpsey, got a completely different version of third form and a whole load of otherwise rarely seen posters actively involved. Thst seemed pretty magical to me. Part of it was probably that people don't like me and me not being there led to things improving, but mostly I put it down to version steering the ship
    I imagine it was just down to the change in tone, the threads I make tend to be a bit more subdued so it's perhaps easier for people who aren't posting on a regular basis to jump in and know where they stand.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    What have we learned?
    Wait until you have the conch in hand before opening your gob.

Or, maybe like in academia atm, true discussion is hampered by instant shutting down by cutting remarks and intellectual dick waving in the name of fun. Which is all fine and often hilarious but maybe makes it harder for a some of the less frequent posters to feel free to really get into it. Not speaking for myself here. Just a thought. Could be totally off bass. Not sure of any remedies either.

One thing I know is it can't be forced. There are people who are really good at making points that serve as a jump off for several pages of further discussion. When it gets going it gets going. But this is a particularly small community so people who aren't part of the main set might find it all a bit cliquey and elitist. Took me a few years to get into it even though it was always evident that the width and breadth of knowledge, brains and lols was above most other places for this type of stuff. Definitely feels bad to check in and find no activity. The one forum where I always wish more was going on.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pattycakes_ For This Useful Post:

Something like the 'Oliver Craner' thread will be impenetrable to someone who isn't a regular.

whats wrong with that eh

Quote Originally Posted by vimothy View Post
    whats wrong with that eh
    Nothing at all imo provided that there are other things going on simultaneously.

sorry just feel a bit protective about oliver craner (the thread)

I think the key is to keep the Music, Thought and Politics sections ticking above all.

Remerge most of the sub forums. No need for them all now. Structural reform.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to droid For This Useful Post:

Music, thought, politics, that's all we need. Art/lit at a push.

Where would I talk about Gravity's Rainbow though?

Events etc goes into music. Everything else goes into thought.

We're the remnants of a once grand family wandering the echoing halls of a dusty mansion. Shut down the unused wings, move all the furniture into a couple of rooms. Save on the heating bills.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to droid For This Useful Post:

dissensus has been fine -- enjoyable even -- in recent months. while things can always improve, I'm not sure there are any issues that need to be resolved.

let's face it, not all threads are as interesting as the original posters might think they are. people like what they like, and trying to guide or manage everyone's participation is probably only occasionally successful to any noticeable degree. and some threads are just entertaining to read, even if one doesn't feel motivated to contribute.

I will say that version's threads tend to feel inviting. they often encourage participation because they're (consciously or not) positioned in a way that feels open. he comes across as genuinely interested in hearing and learning from others. "hey, is anyone into XYZ? I think it's interesting because blah blah blah, curious to know what others think", etc. it's welcoming.
    Last edited by Leo; 04-04-2019 at 11:46 PM.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Leo For This Useful Post:

I reckon threads on individual artists, releases, films or whatever would be useful and keep things moving a bit rather than everything getting swallowed up by larger threads and rolling posts. You need a bit of both, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by sadmanbarty View Post
    the feminine pressure thread was the pinnacle of dissensus.

a broad topic which all corners of dissensus engaged with in their own way. it meant you were taking one overarching theme and exploring it through the different paradigms different posters would offer; feminism, mythology, politics, sex, etc. it was all encompassing. it allowed for dissensus' autistic side to cohabit with it's sensual side. intellectual side with the banter side. the dry side and the psychadelic side. it was everything.
    We've lost corpsey though. And everything relied on him as you pointed out. We might find a new corpsey one day or we might find a new system that isn't based on that particular arrangement of parts but until then we seem to have a mechAnical problem.