What's the last thing that excited you?

firefinga

Lot's of current Jungle, be it neo-Oldschool or that slow, minimal stuff. Great things, that get - gladly - unnoticed by smug music journalists....

Leo

Lot's of current Jungle, be it neo-Oldschool or that slow, minimal stuff. Great things, that get - gladly - unnoticed by smug music journalists....

this just came out this week, not sure if it fits what yr talking about (a little more ravey) but I dig it

DLaurent

This is why I'm here really. To find new stuff. See what's in the loop now. For a while I've been happy just buying the occasional Rod Modell CD.

And finding interesting sounds like the sound of the White Stork. Nice field recording.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket

Dark ops are the ones to check though. bringing that sort of techy 96 vibe into 2019. jungle techno also sort of coming back with western lore, tim reaper etc. yeah it's not the most cutting edge sound ever but nothing is in 2019, especially not deconstructed club which is neo-IDM 2.0. agreed on smug journalists.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I pulled up some old Skream bits after everyone piled on dubstep in the 'nuum poll thread and got quite fired up over them. I'd forgotten how evocative some of his stuff was, there's some quality to it which hits me on a gut level and draws in all these images of England in the mid-'00s I have floating around in my head and brings them back to life; stuff people wore, stuff that was on TV and so on. I get the same thing from BiDC (particularly the opening of Sittin' Here) and Original Pirate Material, they just sound like a particular time in a way I find hard not to get caught up in.

Hey i don't pile on dubstep my argument is different to Luke's and bahti's nonexistent one, my argument is that the undoing of dubstep wasn't it going commercial but the heads not knowing how to deal with it going commercial and retreating to a self-serving purism. but like techno/house purism or jungle purism every purism is selective in its application of a past era. with jungle/dnb purism it's mostly 96-97 and not a lot of 94. similarly with techno-house purism it's mostly house-techno from 91-92, but not the mentalist stuff coming out of new york and detroit in 92-94.

mvuent

Void Dweller
anyone listened much to Ian Loveday beyond his more well-known singles (Spice, Fear the Mindkiller)? been exploring the rest his discography for the past few weeks and there's some amazing stuff in it.

besides the humor and crazy sounds, he low key had a REALLY good sense of groove. as in he can get very rhythmically detailed, but is always hyper-aware of how everything fit together to create a sense of motion. never misses the forest for the trees basically. as a result his later tracks feel extremely nimble and in-the-pocket even when, by all rights, they should just be boring minimal techno.